Thursday, February 14, 2019
THE RUSSIAN INVESTIGATION
- Andrew McCabe Says He Believed Donald Trump May Have Won Election ‘With The Aid Of Russia’
- Andrew McCabe says he opened FBI investigations of Trump for fear of being fired
- Andrew McCabe confirms DOJ held meetings to discuss invoking 25th Amendment to remove Donald Trump
Andrew McCabe, the former deputy director and former acting director of the FBI, told CBS’s 60 Minutes that meetings were held at the Department of Justice to discuss invoking the 25th Amendment to remove President Donald Trump from office.
In the brief time period between former FBI Director James Comey’s firing and the appointment of special counsel Robert Mueller in May 2017, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein considered wearing a wire in meetings with Trump, according to McCabe, in an interview with 60 Minutes. Upon Comey’s firing, McCabe became the acting FBI director. The New York Timesreported the same information in September 2018, which DOJ at the time said was a sarcastic suggestion.
Although the portion of the interview with McCabe has not yet been released, CBS’s Scott Pelley said McCabe told him the idea of removing Trump from office “came up more than once and it was so serious that he took it to the lawyers at the FBI to discuss it.” McCabe and others at DOJ were “counting noses” in an effort to predict who in the president’s Cabinet, including Vice President Mike Pence, would vote to force Trump from office, according to Pelley.
- Fmr U.S. Attorney: McCabe Revelations ‘Worse’ Than Nixon’s Saturday Night Massacre
- Andrew McCabe’s disturbing account of working for Sessions and Trump
- Greg Miller: We all knew McCabe would take aim at Trump in his book, but his contempt for Sessions is staggering. Depicts him as addled, fixated on immigrants, racist. My review of the McCabe book in WaPo
We all knew McCabe would take aim at Trump in his book, but his contempt for Sessions is staggering. Depicts him as addled, fixated on immigrants, racist. My review of the McCabe book in WaPo
FBI was better off “when you all only hired Irishmen,” Sessions said in one diatribe, acc to McCabe. “They were drunks but at least they could be trusted.”
The book has inevitable new gem on Trump-Putin. President refused to believe intel officials that North Korea had test fired ICBM. NK didn’t have that capability, he insisted, saying he knew this “because Vladimir Putin had told him so.”
McCabe goes much farther than Comey in acknowledging the FBI liked tipped 2016 election to Trump. “As matter of policy, FBI does everything possible not to influence elections,” he writes. “In 2016, it seems we did.”
One of my takeaways from the McCabe book: Trump administration’s reputation for baseness and dysfunction has, if anything, been understated and too narrowly attributed to the president.
- McCabe says he ordered obstruction probe on Trump in order to preserve Russia investigations
- McCabe says he ordered the obstruction of justice probe of President Trump
- McCabe: DoJ Held Meetings to Discuss Removing Trump Under the 25th Amendment After Comey’s Firing
- McCabe’s ‘The Threat’ May Be Darkest Vision Of Trump Presidency Yet
- Every Day Is a New Low in Trump’s White House
One of the regularly scheduled meetings with the attorney general, deputy attorney general, and some of their staff came two days later, on Friday, May 12. After the meeting, I asked the deputy, Rod Rosenstein, if he could stay behind. In part I wanted to talk with him about ground rules governing the separate investigations of the Russia case by the FBI and the Senate Intelligence Committee. Rosenstein had oversight because the attorney general, Jeff Sessions, had had to recuse himself owing to his own interactions with Russians during the campaign. But my main message was this: I need you to protect the process.
After speaking to these points, Rod shifted his gaze. His eyes were focused on a point in space a few yards beyond and behind, toward the door. He started talking about the firing of Jim Comey. He was obviously upset. He said he was shocked that the White House was making it look as if Jim’s firing had been his idea. He was grasping for a way to describe the nature of his situation. One remark stands out. He said, There’s no one that I can talk to about this. There’s no one here that I can trust.
He asked for my thoughts about whether we needed a special counsel to oversee the Russia case. I said I thought it would help the investigation’s credibility. Later that day, I went to see Rosenstein again. This is the gist of what I said: I feel strongly that the investigation would be best served by having a special counsel. I’ve been thinking about the Clinton email case and how we got twisted in knots over how to announce a result that did not include bringing charges against anyone. Had we appointed a special counsel in the Clinton case, we might not be in the present situation. Unless or until you make the decision to appoint a special counsel, the FBI will be subjected to withering criticism that could destroy the credibility of both the Justice Department and the FBI.
Remember a while back when Andrew McCabe was fired? I said something along the lines of “wait until the book comes out” to hear how much of a clusterfuck this really was.
Turns out, it was worse than we thought. And if this accounting is true, Andrew McCabe may have saved the Republic. After Comey was fired, there was little time for him to act, and there was a good chance that he would be fired soon as well. His first act was to open an investigation into Donald Trump for Obstruction of Justice. That way, he created a record of events and if someone tried and make this whole mess disappear. His actions also gave Rod Rosenstein time to appoint Robert Mueller as the Special Counselor.
- Jed Shugerman: We now have Mueller’s team explicitly discussing Manafort’s motive for lying and spying for Trump: seeking a pardon. It is time for state prosecutors in NY, VA, IL & CA to start bringing indictments for tax fraud, bank fraud, and aiding/abetting hacking. Trump can’t pardon those. Manafort’s federal trial, by being a mix of convictions and hung juries shows, opens the door for state convictions. Ironically, the one
#MAGAhold-out juror actually made jail more likely by preserving those charges for state trials.
- Russia Moves to Mask Its Soldiers’ Digital Trail
- Boyfriend’s Email: Butina ‘Manipulated’ Russian Spy Agency for NRA Trip
- ‘They deserve to know if Donald Trump is an agent of the Russian Federation’: Democratic senator makes case for Trump being compromised
- Is Trump a Russian Asset?
- House Democrats may target Ivanka Trump in their Russia probe
- Ivanka Trump May Finally Have to Testify in the Russia Investigation
Good. Let’s see what Kremlin Barbie knows.
SHUTDOWN & IMMIGRATION
- Rick Wilson: Good Morning, MAGA nation. Today, Trump will sign a budget without your precious wall., because President Shart of the Deal went from $25bn for a wall to $1.3 billion for some fence. Y’all are suckers.
- What’s in the 1,169-page border-security bill to avert a government shutdown
- Congress approves border deal to avert shutdown; Trump to sign it and seek wall money elsewhere
- Trump is reportedly calling up Fox hosts to defend the shutdown deal
- Border deal nears passage as lawmakers prepare for votes, with Trump expected to sign
- An emergency declaration by Trump will lead to lawsuits. Lots of them.
- Trump to sign border deal averting shutdown, declare emergency in pursuit of wall funding, McConnell says
- Trump Will Declare A National Emergency To Build A Wall And Avoid A Government Shutdown This Weekend
- McConnell predicts Senate passage of border-security bill, hopes Trump signs it
- McConnell: Trump intends to sign spending bill, declare national emergency
- McConnell: Trump says he’ll sign border deal, declare national emergency
- If Trump Declares An Emergency To Build The Wall, Congress Can Block Him
- Trump, Mulvaney plan to raid disaster relief funds, cut military housing to fund wall
- Trump Plans to Unilaterally Shift Almost $7 Billion for Wall, Official Says
- Kamala Harris: Declaring a national emergency over this President’s vanity project is ridiculous. We don’t need a wall. Instead, we should address the actual emergencies facing our country — everything from gun violence to the opioid crisis.
- Joe Walsh: If you claim to be a conservative and would’ve been FURIOUS if Obama had declared a national emergency to combat gun violence and further restrict our 2A rights, you should be FURIOUS at Trump. Because that’s the precedent he’s setting w/ the nat’l emergency at the border.
- PostimusMaximus: If he wins the national security wall battle, you can take joy in knowing we get to declare a national emergency in a couple years for Climate Change or Health Care.
- Countercheckist: The national emergency himself wants to declare a national emergency b/c Mexico laughed in his face, and Congress wouldn’t bail him out. Tool. @realDonaldtRUmp.
- Tea Pain: Go ahead Donald. Set a precedent that will allow your Democratic successor to declare National Emergencies on Climate Change and Gun Control. #BeCarefulWhatYouWishFor
- Evan McMullin: When leaders invent emergencies, they do so to bypass the very limits on their power that ensure our freedom. This fake emergency is something we must all oppose no matter our party affiliation. If we don’t stop it now, it’ll pave the way for even more dangerous abuses later.
- Lincoln’s Bible: Thinking about national emergencies… Gun deaths. Emergency. Extreme weather. Emergency. Div of wealth. Emergency. White Supremacy. Emergency. @GOP & White House bought & controlled by foreign power. Emergency!.. Okay. I’m good with this precedent. Declare away, POTUS.
Now we enter the “How much can he fuck this up” phase.
There’s two ways this whole “National Emergency” thing ends.
The most likely way is that this get shot down in the courts after everyone from California to Carlos Santana files a lawsuit against it.
The least likely way is that it is successful in starting the wall, but it ends there. The project ends quickly, and the next person in office now has a precedent set to use the excuse of a national emergency to enact any and all actions that they couldn’t get passed through Congress.
- Border Patrol Detained Me for Speaking Spanish in Montana. Then My Town Turned Against Me.
- Two U.S. citizens claim in lawsuit that feds detained them for speaking Spanish
- U.S. plans to build massive migrant center in El Paso aimed at processing family asylum seekers
TRUMP THE RUSSIAN ASSET A.K.A. INDIVIDUAL-1
- Trump launches furious attack on former FBI chief McCabe after Russia probe revelations
- Trump blasts former FBI official McCabe after explosive interview
- Trump once called executive action on immigration dangerous, unconstitutional and impeachable
- Julia Davis: Trump refused to believe U.S. intel officials, “because Vladimir Putin had told him” differently. 🤦♀️
- Trump claims auto manufacturing has boomed during his presidency — it hasn’t
- Trump is Unable to Discharge the Powers and Duties of His Office
- Trump’s DHS Guts Task Forces Protecting Elections From Foreign Meddling
- Donald Trump takes orders from Fox News’ Sean Hannity, says Chris Cuomo
- ‘No One Should Be Surprised’: After Long Career Stiffing Workers, Trump Blocks Back Pay for Federal Contractors
Let’s Get Physical!
- Claude Taylor: Any word on the president’s medical exam? How much does he weigh this year. My guess as a guy his build/height is last year he was 280 and now he’s 320. What do you think? Do we have a right to know what any president’s med stats are ? When does the medical community speak up?
- Dr. Dena Grayson: 🚨BREAKING: The White House releases a memo from @realDonaldTrump’s doctor, confirming that Trump is OBESE. 👉🏼Lists him as 6’3” / 243 lbs🙄for a BMI of 30.4 (“obese”) 👉🏼His real height appears to be 6’1”. Assuming he’s 243 lbs, his BMI is 32.1. 👉🏼LDL (bad cholesterol) is high
- Angry White House Staffer: Results of Trump’s physical are in, and they’re predictably bullshit. 243, my ass.
- Rick Wilson: Roses are red What flower mean hate Trump weighs a lot more Than 238
- Donald Trump weighs in at 243 pounds, president’s doctor discloses after physical exam
- William P. Barr Confirmed As 85th Attorney General of the United States
- William Barr expected to be confirmed as attorney general Thursday
- William Barr’s Son-in-Law Just Landed a Job Advising Trump on “Legal Issues”
- Senate votes to confirm William Barr as attorney general
- The son-in-law of Trump’s attorney general nominee is reportedly leaving the Justice Department to join president’s White House legal team
- Mike Pompeo refuses to say whether he believes CIA assessment on Jamal Khashoggi killing
- Trump’s presidency enters a new imperial phase — and Mitch McConnell just rolls over
- Bill Kristol resurfaces video of Pence calling Obama executive action on immigration a ‘profound mistake’
- Walter Shaub: Trump fired an AG for allowing an investigation of him His nominee, Barr, says he’ll ignore ethics officials if he feels like it Barr wrote an unsolicited memo criticizing the Mueller investigation Now Barr’s son-in-law is being reassigned to the White House Counsel’s office
- Angry White House Staffer: There’s nothing else to argue. There are really only two options left at this point: 1. Trump is the only innocent person in a coterie of criminals. 2. The President of the United States is a criminal.
- Asha Rangappa: I am continually fascinated that 199 criminal charges against 37 defendants with 7 pleading/being found guilty and 4 people sentenced to jail within 2 yrs means “nothing is happening.” People understand that prosecutors start from the bottom and work their way up, right?
- Joe Walsh: Don’t ever forget why we’re here: Russia attacked us. A foreign enemy attacked our elections. It’s possible Americans conspired with Russia to carry out this attack. And tho I hope there was no collusion, don’t ever forget that this is what we’re trying to get to the bottom of.
- Richard Painter: Mitch McConnell is one of the weakest leaders in Senate history. He won’t confront an out of control president. He won’t engage with Senate democrats. He instead pitches his entire caucus against the far left ideology of two or three new members of the House of Representatives!
- How Much Ratf*cking Can We Allow and Still Remain a Democratic Republic?
- Nation Again Torn Between Freaking Out Over Bad Trump Idea or Staying Calm Because He’ll Be Too Lazy to See It Through
- Democrats go after political ‘dark money’ with anti-corruption measure
- Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez Replaces Nancy Pelosi as Republicans’ new boogeyman for 2020.
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: Marijuana prohibition hit Black and Latino people hardest so they should profit from legalization first
- Why Ocasio-Cortez’s lesson in dark money is the most-watched political video | US news
- ‘Makes going to work look easy’: Decades before she was House speaker, Nancy Pelosi had an even harder job
AIPAC & OMAR
- Bernie Sanders Called Ilhan Omar to Offer His Support Amid Anti-Semitism Controversy
- Pelosi Defends Omar: ‘It Took Them, What, 13 Years To Notice Steve King?’
RIGHT WING TERRORISM & WHITE NATIONALISM
SCOTUS & COURTS
#METOO & WOMEN’S RIGHTS
- Newly surfaced videotape allegedly featuring R. Kelly is given to authorities by Michael Avenatti
- Google joins Apple in probing Saudi app that lets men control where women travel, as pressure piles on the tech giants to kill the service
- Ryan Adams, accused of sexual misconduct, responds that he is ‘not a perfect man’
COLD WAR 2.0
- Bill Browder: The fact that you use IKEA as an example that “good business can be done in Russia” means you already lost the argument. They got shaken down for more than a billion Euros and are still licking their wounds. As for BP, what about Bob Dudley fleeing for his life?
- At least 38 killed in deadliest attack on security forces in Indian-controlled Kashmir in 3 decades
- ‘Everyone was leaving, and we were trying to get back in’: A photographer remembers the end of the Soviet Afghan War
- Hundreds streaming out of last ISIS stronghold as extremists face military defeat
- A potential witness in Monica Witt’s defection case grew up in New Orleans. Now she defends the Iranian revolution.
- In Venezuela, humanitarian aid has become a political weapon
- Alyssa Alhadeff, 15
- Martin Duque, 14
- Nicholas Dworet, 17
- Jaime Guttenburg, 14
- Luke Hoyer, 15
- Cara Loughran, 14
- Gina Montalto, 14
- Joaquin Oliver, 17
- Alaina Petty, 14
- Meadow Pollack, 18
- Helena Ramsey, 17
- Alex Schachter, 14
- Carmen Schentrup, 16
- Peter Wang, 15
- Scott Beigel, 35
- Aaron Feis, 37
- Chris Hixon, 49
“… Comfort on difficult days, smiles when sadness intrudes, rainbows to follow the clouds, laughter to kiss your lips, sunsets to warm your heart, hugs when spirits sag…” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- After Parkland massacre, a death penalty case and multiple investigations examine what happened
- Senator Diane Feinstein: BREAKING: @HouseJudiciary last night passed the first major gun-safety bill out of committee in YEARS. The Bipartisan Background Checks Act, passed by a party-line vote, should be supported by ALL members of Congress. I’m a proud supporter of its Senate counterpart.
- Dr. Dena Grayson: One year ago in #Parkland, these beautiful, innocent souls had their lives cut short because of #gunviolence. May they RIP, and may we work tirelessly for stricter gun laws, so that this NEVER happens again.🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡#MSDStrong #GunSense
- Rogue Senior White House Advisor: In any other timeline and in any other society a tragedy like Parkland would be a permanent stain. But in the US we shrug off massacres as the cost of doing business in a corporate controlled theocracy. Dark times in America.
- Most Americans incorrectly think gun-murder rates have gotten worse, not better
- Mom: I asked my daughter why she wrote ‘Love Mom and Dad’ on her arm. Then she told me about the bomb threat at school.
FIXING THE INTERNET
- PostimusMaximus: The problem with this is that inevitably there will be open-source versions that end up released as more people become familiar with the tech. Any problem you can throw deep-learning at will eventually be wildly available. Plan accordingly. “deepfakes” blew up largely due to people making opensource versions less knowledgeable people could utilize. They just happened to be video based. Nothing is stopping audio deepfakes or fake-news deepfakes or photo-deepfakes from taking off all the same. Its all the same tech.
- Spicy Mic: The U.S. government and Facebook are negotiating a record, multi-billion dollar fine for the company’s privacy lapses. THREAD
- The U.S. government and Facebook are negotiating a record, multibillion-dollar fine for the company’s privacy lapses
- Facebook is thinking about removing anti-vaccination content as backlash intensifies over the spread of misinformation on the social network
THE PROPAGANDA MACHINE
The (Russian) Anti-Vaxxers
- Russian Trolls Promoted Anti-Vaccination Propaganda That May Have Caused Measles Outbreak, Researcher Claims
- Wife of White House communications director pushes false anti-vaccination claims
- Facebook is thinking about removing anti-vaccination content as backlash intensifies over the spread of misinformation on the social network
- Andrew Laufer, ESQ: Merely thinking? It’s weaponized propaganda deployed to exploit ignorance. It needs to be banned immediately.
- Wife of White House official claims measles ‘keep you healthy & fight cancer.’ Not quite.
- Juliette Kayyem: From the heart I’ll tell you, I love my 3 kids and I believe the anti-vaxxers love their kids. But from the head I’ll tell you that I love their kids more than they love my kids.
- Fox Host: Trump Support Of Border Deal Means Shutdown Was A ‘Waste Of Time’
- Trump is reportedly calling up Fox hosts to defend the shutdown deal
- Infowars’ Alex Jones ordered to undergo sworn deposition in Sandy Hook case
- Trump Voters Trust Infowars As Much As The New York Times And Washington Post, Poll Shows
WHITE HOUSE CHAOS
- EPA official Bill Wehrum stayed in close touch with his former law firm, new emails show
- ‘Off the rails’: Inside Trump’s attempt to claim victory in his border wall defeat
TRADE WAR, HEALTH CARE, AND ECONOMY
- Amazon drops plan to build headquarters in New York City
- How Amazon’s big plans for New York City were thwarted by the city’s resurgent left wing
- Warren: Amazon ‘walked away from billions in taxpayer bribes’ because officials ‘aren’t sucking up’ enough
- Kaz Weida: Unpopular opinion, but I think it’s a good thing #AmazonHQ2 won’t be coming to NYC. Honestly, there are so many cities that need the boost to infrastructure. I’d much rather see Amazon strategically support revitalization in a neglected corner of America. Like I dunno- Detroit?
- Billionaire Richard Branson: Taxing the extremely wealthy like me ‘makes sense’
- And Now This Message From Some Very Rich People: ‘Please Raise Our Taxes’ – If their taxes are raised, wrote 48 millionaires to New York lawmakers, “most of us will literally not notice the difference.”
- Fortnite’s free-to-play model threatens major game makers
- Having a ‘good’ job in America no longer makes you financially secure
- The Denver teachers strike is over. They won.
- With teachers in the lead, more workers went on strike in 2018 than in any year since 1986
- ‘This is disgusting:’ Lawmakers blast companies overseeing military homes racked by toxic dangers
GOP: THE PARTY OF LINCOLN IS DEAD
- Missouri lawmakers work to overturn voter approved transparency amendment
- Trump privately gripes that GOP was outplayed by Democrats
CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
- A rising Florida rapper mourned the deaths of his ‘brothers.’ Now police say he shot them and covered it up.
- El Chapo escaped two prisons in Mexico — but no one’s ever busted out of the American ‘ADX’
- Special agent involved in Army officer’s murder case charged with lying about earning a Purple Heart
PRIESTS & RELIGION
ENVIRONMENT & SCIENCE
- EPA vows national action on toxic ‘forever’ chemicals
- A long-awaited and much-anticipated El Niño has finally arrived
- Her unborn baby had a birth defect — so doctors performed surgery inside her womb
- Large majorities of Americans support almost all of the key ideas in Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Green New Deal
- The Green New Deal Is What Realistic Environmental Policy Looks Like
- Those black leopard photos are awesome but definitely not the first in 100 years
- Wintry triple threat: 3 systems to threaten snow or mix in the next 7 days
PROGRESS IS PROGRESS
- Recreational marijuana: Police, doctors and educators fighting legalization in New York
- How should we talk about white men today?
- ‘I love you’: How three little words became such a big deal
- After years of war, terror takes a back seat to love in Pakistan this Valentine’s Day – The Lily
- It’s not enough to hope for the best. Millennials are writing contracts for their relationships. – The Lily
- They dated in high school, broke up, lost touch: A Valentine’s Day love story
- Try checking 1 billion flowers for pests and diseases in time for Valentine’s Day
- What does ‘I love you’ mean? It depends on where you say it and what language you speak.
- When presidents fall in love
IN OTHER NEWS…
- ‘We did a nose dive, twice’: Three sent to hospital after Delta flight makes emergency landing.
- California’s Dixie School District will keep its name for now
- Without editing and cinematography, there’s no movies. So how can you have an Oscars telecast without them?
- Christopher Titus: A friend of mine sat next to John Brennan on a plane and asked him if the Russia thing was as bad as they say. John Brennan said, “Can’t tell you what, but it’s much worse than you think.” Mueller hasn’t found too little, he found too much. #DemocracyShaken
- 911corlebra777: Well, when the head of MI6 personally couriers intel about #TrumpRussia so hot, he had to hand deliver it directly to John Brennan at the CIA, yeah bad ju ju. When did that happen again 🙂
- Ming: The WH Physician is keeping something from you. You have stomach cancer. Happy Valentines, traitor.
- Tea Pain: Notice how all the Trumpublicans are screaming ’ “no collusion” and “no report” everywhere you turn? Trump knows something big is comin’ soon and his lackeys are foamin’ the runway.
- Countercheckist: Anyone who knows how Capitol Hill works, knows for a fact that once OSC’s unclassified report hits Congress, the countdown clock begins until it leaks. It’s an absolute certainty. Remember Comey’s October 2016 letter to Congress? Just sayin’. In other words… relax, patriots.
That’s it for Thursday. Friday brings us a signing to avoid a shutdown, a botched emergency announcement, and a Republican challenging Trump in 2020.
Thank you, and have a good one.
“Without Journalists, it’s just propaganda.”
– Katy Tur