Wednesday, May 30th.
COHEN: THE SHREDDER
- FBI is reconstructing shredded documents obtained during Cohen raid
- Prosecutors in Michael Cohen case piecing together shredded documents from raid
Michael Cohen is a fucking idiot, part 317: Types of shredders.
Straight cut shredders use cutting blades that move in one direction and produce long, skinny strips of paper. Cross-cut shredders use blades that cut in two directions which produce tiny diamonds. Micro-cut shredders turn the paper into dust.
Straight-cut documents can be put back together “fairly easy.” Cross-cut is harder, requiring scanners and computer software. Micro-cut shredders require a time machine.
A smart person looking to destroy things in 2018 would use a micro-cut shredder, or at the very worst a cross-cut. Micro-cut shredders exist across all price points. Someone could get one of these from Staples for less than $100.
Michael Cohen uses a straight-cut shredder. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s ten years old and has a name, like Old Cutty. The FBI will have recreated everything they found in Old Cutty within the next couple weeks.
- Cohen Prosecutors to Get Seized Phone Data by Wednesday
- Cohen’s lawyers confirm client recorded conversations – CNN Video
- Avenatti has to end “publicity tour” if he wants part in Michael Cohen case
- Avenatti drops request to participate in Cohen case after warning to ‘stop your publicity tour’
- Avenatti withdraws motion to represent Stormy Daniels in Cohen case
Michael Avenatti has withdrawn his request to represent adult film star Stormy Daniels in the case centered on the FBI raid of President Trump’s attorney Michael Cohen.
Shortly after a conference hearing Wednesday in a federal district court in Manhattan, Avenatti withdrew his request to weigh in on the case.
In the document Avenatti filed in court Wednesday, he said he is withdrawing his request to intervene and will re-file it, if necessary, at a later time.
There’s a lot of legalese involved, but the short version is that Avenatti’s still representing Stormy Daniels. It’s just that he’s not currently involved in the evidentiary process of United States vs. Cohen because he’s already working with them, and another lawyer working with Stormy that is natively licensed in New York can speak for them.
- Judge Suggests Review of Cohen Documents Is Moving Too Slowly
- Cohen team has June deadline to review millions of seized items
- Judge denies Michael Cohen’s request for more time to review seized materials
- Cohen Prosecutors to Get Seized Phone Data by Wednesday
- Federal prosecutors poised to get more than 1 million files seized from Michael Cohen’s phones
The cost to perform this review is substantial. How much? Let’s figure that out…
According to the transcripts, Cohen’s lawyers have been working “day and night” for weeks. They have 15 high priced lawyers, plus 2 data entry folks. Per yesterday’s report on the Special Master (Daily Check-In 05/29/2018), an hourly rate of $700 per hour is not unreasonable for this work. The data entry folks will cost less, but I’ll say $100 per hour.
To me, “working day and night” is a minimum of 16 hours per day, but to keep from killing people, I’ll use 80 hours per week. That’s a full shift on top of normal work, but enough to be spread out over the weekends.
So, we have 15 lawyers at $700 per hour working 80 hours a week, plus 2 data entry people at $100 per hour at 80 hours per week. [(15 * 700 * 80) + (2 * 100 * 80)] = [ 840,000+ 16,000] =$856,000 per week. Considering this has been going on for weeks, and assuming this lawyer wasn’t blowing smoke up the judge’s ass, Cohen’s legal bills from this procedure will approach $4 million, and that’s before they go to trial.
He might flip just to avoid going broke.
The fact that the inauguration meeting included all three parties could perhaps be understood as a coincidence. Vekselberg, after all, is Intrater’s cousin in addition to running an affiliated company, the Renova Group. And the inauguration is an event with many attendees and perhaps some impromptu introductions and meetings. That idea that Cohen may have met Vekselberg there without them forming a relationship and without Vekselberg being involved in Columbus Nova’s hiring of Cohen is plausible.
But three meetings involving both Intrater and Vekselberg? That reduces the likelihood that this was just happenstance. The Times reported a couple of days ago that Vekselberg met with Cohen “multiple times.” Now we know the details of the first meeting and that there was a third — which may have even come after Columbus Nova hired Cohen (he was hired in late January, after the inauguration). That’s a lot of meetings to have, in relatively proximity, with a third party who had nothing to do with the arrangement between Columbus Nova and Cohen.
Are we to believe Cohen’s business relationship with Columbus Nova didn’t come up at these meetings? Are we to believe Vekselberg somehow didn’t know about it and didn’t use it to push for influence over the Trump administration’s Russia policy (which was the stated subject matter for the first meeting)? At the very least, having a Russian oligarch in these meetings at a time when the Trump campaign’s Russia ties were at-issue would seem to be a bad decision just from a pure public relations perspective. And since then, Vekselberg has featured on a list of oligarchs who have been sanctioned by the Trump administration.
Three meetings in a short time span with Vekselberg and his cousin. Like Admiral James T. Kirk said in the Wrath of Khan, “This is damn peculiar.”
COLD WAR 2.0: BILL BROWDER ARRESTED, RELEASED
- Bill Browder, Kremlin Critic, Briefly Arrested In Spain For Murky Reasons
- Putin critic Bill Browder freed after brief arrest in Spain
Bill Browder was arrested earlier this morning on an Interpol warrant issued by Russia. This isn’t the first time Russia has tried this shit. This happened a few months ago, but it doesn’t usually result in Bill getting arrested.
Fortunately, he was able to get this cleared up, and he’s back in London.
- CIA: North Korea won’t give up nukes, but might open a burger joint
- Russia’s foreign minister Sergey Lavrov to visit North Korea
- Roman Abramovich granted Israeli citizenship | World news | The Guardian
- Trump bragged about classified Syria skirmish at fundraiser
THE RUSSIAN INVESTIGATION
- Senate Intelligence Committee Now Wants to Grill Roger Stone
- Roger Stone Promises He ‘Will Never Roll on Donald Trump’
- Trey Gowdy: FBI’s Use of Informant for Trump Campaign Was Appropriate
- Michael Cohen Got $500,000 For Meeting with Russian Oligarch
- Mueller reportedly takes an interest in Trump’s pressure on Sessions
- Trump: “I wish” I didn’t pick Jeff Sessions as attorney general
- The Trump obstruction of justice probe is bigger than we realized
- The debate is over: Of course Trump obstructed justice
PUERTO RICO DEATH TOLL
- Trump Failed the Americans of Puerto Rico
- Hurricane Maria killed more people than 9/11 or Katrina
- Trump is responsible for Puerto Rico
- The shocking truth about the Hurricane Maria death toll is our Trump nightmare made real
TRUMP HATES IMMIGRANTS
- 68% of white evangelicals think America shouldn’t house refugees
- A Transgender Woman Who Was Part Of The Migrant Caravan Has Died In ICE Custody
- Trans Woman Dies in US Custody, With Migrant Groups Accusing Authorities of ‘Murder’
- US shelters for migrant children are nearly full after number of unaccompanied minors swells under Trump\
- Massachusetts coalition pushes for switch to ranked-choice voting
- Independent voters now outnumber Republicans in California
- Young adults say they’ll actually vote in this midterm election
- What Happened to Jill Stein’s Recount Millions?
- The ‘Don’t Vote Early’ campaign and the pro-Trump effort to suppress black voters
WHITE HOUSE CHAOS: WHERE’S MELANIA?
- Melania Trump Not Seen by Public in 20 Days
- Melania Trump Hasn’t Appeared in Public for 19 Days
- Why is this even a thing? Kim Kardashian to visit White House to discuss prison reform
- Has Melania Trump Left the White House?
- Bolton Installs Anti-Muslim Wingnut As NSC Chief of Staff
- Let it sink in: The White House sinkhole is no more
THE PROPAGANDA MACHINE: AMBIEN DOES NOT CAUSE RACISM
- ‘Racism is not a known side effect,’ Ambien maker says after Roseanne Barr blames it for tweets
- “No one ever apologizes to me,” Trump complains in response to Roseanne backlash
- After ABC condemns Roseanne tweet, Trump says CEO never called him
- Fox News’ Shep Smith firmly dismantles Trump’s unfounded claims about ‘Spygate’
- Fox News’s Napolitano: Trump’s ‘Spygate’ claims are ‘baseless’
- CNN anchor spends 11 minutes debunking Matt Schlapp’s conspiracy theories about the FBI informant and the Trump campaign
- Senior Republicans Are Complicit in Trump’s “Spygate” Propaganda
- Even Conservatives Are Realizing Trump’s ‘Spygate’ Conspiracy Is a Hoax
- Michelle Wolf takes on Sarah Huckabee Sanders in Netflix premiere, triggers Fox News
- Parkland parents launch a Super PAC to go after politicians and the NRA
- Pressure Leads to Progress – Giffords
NFL: THE F IS FOR FASCISM
- NFL Owner Testifies Under Oath that He Changed His Mind About Hiring Kaepernick After Trump’s Comments
- Jerry Jones: President made it clear that he wasn’t letting anthem issue go – ProFootballTalk
GOP: THE PARTY OF LINCOLN IS DEAD
- What and who is fueling the movement to privatize public education — and why you should care
- After Aide’s Morbid Joke, Trump Leads Nashville Crowd In Booing John McCain
- U.S. Gives Russia ‘Unexpected Present’ With Iran Sanctions and Oil Price Surge
- U.S. GDP Growth Revised Down to 2.2% Rate in First Quarter
- Trump Presidency Causing ‘Fear and Anxiety’ at NASA, Ex-Employee Says
- Losing it: The tragic self-immolation of Rudy Giuliani
- Federal Reserve votes to ease rule aimed at preventing big banks from making risky financial bets
- Ted Cruz fundraising with official looking ‘summons’ mailers
PROGRESS IS PROGRESS
- Senator Mark Warner: Beware of regulating U.S. Tech Companies in a way that gives Chinese Tech Companies an Advantage
- Virginia poised to expand Medicaid
CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
That’s it for today. There is a difference between the parties, and I think I’m going to write about it when I get time. That’s the joke now.
Thank you, and have a good one.
“Without Journalists, it’s just propaganda.”
– Katy Tur