Wednesday, May 22, 2019 and Thursday May 23.
THE RUSSIAN INVESTIGATION
- Adam Schiff: DoJ Has Agreed To Hand Over Mueller Report Documents
- Justice Department and House intelligence panel strike deal for Mueller materials
- Mueller’s Illegitimate Hoax Investigation Somehow Just Led to Another Indictment Involving the Trump Campaign
- Bank CEO accused of approving millions in loans for Paul Manafort in hopes of landing Trump administration post
- Bank CEO Stephen M. Calk Charged With Corruptly Soliciting A Presidential Administration Position In Exchange For Approving $16 Million In Loans
- Kushner Replied ‘On It!’ After Manafort Sought Post for Banker
- Chicago bank CEO indicted on accusations of bribing Manafort for administration job
- Unsealed court filings reveal how Mueller quickly zeroed in on Michael Cohen
- New Documents Show Mueller Knew Trump Was Writing Secret Checks To Michael Cohen In 2017
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange charged with violating Espionage Act
- McConnell eyed after Russian venture in KY follows sanctions lift
- In 20 Tweets, GOP Rep. Justin Amash Lays Out Case For Impeachment
- DeVos family ends financial support for Rep. Amash
- Pelosi refuses to engage with White House aide Kellyanne Conway over wealth
- How Democrats got to the brink of considering impeaching Trump
- Pelosi says Trump wants to be impeached and is angry that House Democrats are not moving in that direction
- Pelosi says Trump’s family needs to stage ‘an intervention’
- Pelosi snaps at Conway after tense White House meeting: ‘I don’t talk to staff. I talk directly to the president’
- Pelosi Suggests Maybe Trump ‘Wants to Take a Leave of Absence’ After ‘Tantrum’
- Pelosi: Trump ‘is engaged in a cover up’
- Tom Steyer: “Impeachment is a way to reaffirm our belief that everyone is accountable”
- Which House Democrats support impeachment?
- Rex Tillerson Is ‘Dumb As a Rock,’ Says the Guy Who Made Him Secretary of State
- Rex Tillerson Says Trump Actively Avoided Confronting Russia Over Election Interference
- Tillerson Slipped Into The Capitol To Tell House Committee About Trump And Russia
- AOC and Warren team up to probe Treasury Secretary Mnuchin over Sears bankruptcy
- ‘No Amount of Legal Advice Will Stop the Lawlessness and Lies’: Leaked IRS Memo Says Mnuchin Must Hand Over Trump Tax Returns
- Treasury Sec. Mnuchin struggles when asked if he ordered IRS to defy Congress
- As it turns out, Democrats can both investigate and legislate
- Impeachment Is Coming
- Impeachment Will Succeed If It Demonstrates Very Publicly That Trump Is a Tyrant Unfit for Office and GOP Lawwmakers Are His Enablers
- Judge rejects Trump’s request to halt congressional subpoenas for his banking records
- Judge says Deutsche Bank, Capital One can give Trump financial records to House Democrats
- Trump takes aim at House Democrats as they prepare to discuss impeachment calls
- Wells Fargo, TD Bank have already given Trump-related financial documents to Congress
- U.S. House speaker says Trump is engaged in a ‘cover up’
- White House, congressional leaders push for two-year budget deal
- Democrats who stood with Clinton through impeachment urge caution in pursuit of Trump
- Former GOP Rep. Tom Coleman: Trump, Pence are illegitimate. Impeach them
COHEN, NEW YORK, AND THE OTHER LAWSUITS
- Kushner Cos. Gets $800 Million Federally-Backed Apartment Loan
- Michael Avenatti charged with defrauding Stormy Daniels
- Michael Cohen Filings Show 950 Messages With Russian Oligarch’s Cousin
- Michael Cohen’s interactions with a Russia-linked company come into sharper focus
- CEO of small Florida bank loaned Trump millions in 2018, then got Federal Reserve post
- In an Odd Move, Trump Shifts His Banking Business to a Small Firm in Florida — With his relationship with Deutsche Bank under scrutiny, the president turned to a little-known bank.
- New York legislature approves bill giving Congress access to Trump’s state tax records
- New York legislature passes bill allowing state to prosecute people pardoned by the President
- Deutsche Bank Says it will abide by court order on Trump records
- Trump’s desperate campaign to hide his finances starts to unravel
TRUMP THE RUSSIAN ASSET A.K.A. INDIVIDUAL-1
- Trump Will Disgrace Memorial Day by Pardoning Convicted and Accused War Criminals
- I Commanded Several of the Servicemen Trump May Pardon. Letting Them Off Will Undermine the Military
- One of Trump’s Attorneys Also Represents the Accused War Criminal He Might Pardon
- Senior military officers rebel against Trump plan to pardon troops accused of war crimes
- Trump’s Golf Costs: $102 Million And Counting, With Taxpayers Picking Up The Tab
- Trump Spent More Than Three Times the Cost of Robert Mueller’s Russia Investigation Playing Golf at His Own Resorts
- Trump Walks Out on Democrats After 3 Minutes
- Trump’s Mad At Pelosi’s ‘Cover-Up’ Comment So He Skipped Meeting To Yell About It
- Trump’s new message: Me first, America second
- What is Donald Trump’s theory of victory over the Democrats?
- Trump abruptly cancels infrastructure meeting with Democrats after Pelosi says he is ‘engaged in a coverup’
- Trump Calls Himself ‘Extremely Stable Genius,’ Demands Staffers Tell Press How ‘Calm’ He Is
- Trump relentlessly mocked for ‘nationally televised hissy fit’ over Democratic investigation — US president storms out of meeting to give bizarre speech described as ‘live-action movie version’ of his Twitter feed
- Our Very Calm President Is Tweeting Vigorously About How Not Mad He Was During His Non-Temper Tantrum
- Schumer: Trump’s ‘temper tantrum’ was concocted to escape infrastructure meeting
- Sneaky Photo Captures Trump Handwritten Notes Saying Dems Have ‘No Achomlishments’
- ‘I don’t do cover-ups’: President Trump says at surprise White House press conference
- A Trump Twitter-style diatribe — live from the Rose Garden
- Ben Carson misheard a housing term as ‘Oreo,’ and other tense moments at a congressional hearing
- Ben Carson took to Fox Business to explain why he thought he was asked about Oreos
- Cuccinelli, a righteous, faith-driven warrior who delights in provocation, will join Trump administration
- New Yorker cover titled ‘The Shining’ shows Graham, McConnell, Barr polishing Trump’s shoes
- Nancy Pelosi: “We believe the president of the United States is engaged in a cover-up”
- How Nancy Pelosi Humiliated Trump on Infrastructure Week
- The various coverups of Donald ‘I don’t do coverups’ Trump
- Two dozen states, municipalities, sue over Trump’s ‘conscience’ rule
- Opinion | Back-to-back defeats in court don’t bode well for Trump
- Opinion | The wall of concealment Trump built around his finances is beginning to crumble
- A Presidency That Will Live in Infamy: While Washington debates Trump’s legal maneuvers, his administration is committing acts of cruelty that dwarf impeachable offenses
- Howard Stern: Trump’s candidacy for president was a ‘publicity stunt’
EMERGENCIES, SHUTDOWN & IMMIGRATION
- Lawmakers reach deal on disaster aid, leave out border money Trump demanded, top senator says
- Pentagon agrees to set up tent housing near border for some 7,500 migrants
- Texas migrant detention center quarantined amid flu outbreak after 16-year-old dies
- ‘This Is Criminal’: Whistleblower Reports Thousands of Gay, Trans, and Disabled Immigrants Have Been Held in Solitary Confinement by ICE
- Trump Dumped Thousands of Immigrants in San Antonio. The City’s Response Was a Lesson in Kindness.
- U.S. judge hears House lawsuit to stop Trump border wall construction
RACISM, RIGHT WING TERRORISM, & WHITE NATIONALISM
- Investigators could not determine if Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is in racist yearbook photo
- Leaked Proud Boys Chats Show Members Plotting Violence At Rallies
- Proposed HUD rule would strip transgender protections at homeless shelters
SCOTUS & COURTS
#METOO & WOMEN’S RIGHTS
- He already struck down one abortion ban. Now the judge says a new bill ‘smacks of defiance.’
- How often does the Supreme Court overturn precedents like Roe v. Wade?
- Shhh! Don’t Tell Evangelical Supporters of Israel, but Abortion There Is Legal — and Often It’s Free
- Wisconsin governor vows to veto abortion restriction bills passed by state lawmakers
- Women come to her to find out if they can legally have an abortion. Now the answer might almost always be ‘no.’ – The Lily
- Top Democrat cancels event for anti-abortion House colleague
COLD WAR 2.0
- ‘American Taliban’ John Walker Lindh released from prison after 17 years
- Europe was worried Russia would mess with its elections. Now it has other fears.
- Faced with relentless American pressure, Iran starts to hit back
- Far-right parties hope to undermine E.U. by winning European elections
- From the emperor to sumo wrestling, Abe harnesses Japan’s traditions to impress Trump
- India’s Modi wins resounding election victory with potent appeal to nationalism
- Opinion | As tensions rise with Iran, here are three lessons from Iraq and my 33 years at the CIA
- Saudi Arabia: Moderate Islamic scholars ‘to be executed’
- ‘Very dangerous’: Putin, Trump want to weaken the European Union, top official says
- NYPD officer says he inflated charge against Eric Garner
- GOP State Rep. Flashed His Gun In Dem’s Office, Where Weapons Are Banned
FIXING THE INTERNET
- Mark Zuckerberg personally made the decision that Facebook will keep running political ads, even though the ads were weaponized in 2016
THE PROPAGANDA MACHINE
- Sarah Huckabee Sanders hasn’t held a press briefing in 72 days, but since then she’s appeared on Fox 12 times
- Faked Pelosi videos, slowed to make her appear drunk, spread across social media
TRADE WAR, HEALTH CARE, AND ECONOMY
- 4,000 people applied for 28 affordable homes in Oakland
- How the baby boomers wrecked the economy for millennials
- How the U.S.-China trade war became a conflict over the future of tech
- Opinion | The U.S. shouldn’t take China at its word on fentanyl
- Opinion | Wall Street expects Trump will ease up on Huawei. Don’t be so sure.
- The Trump administration struggles to confront the deadliest drug crisis in U.S. history
- Trump administration considers banning another major Chinese firm
- TurboTax Uses A “Military Discount” to Trick Troops Into Paying to File Their Taxes
- U.S. Beer Industry Blames Trump Tariffs for 40,000 Job Losses
- I, for One, Am Displeased About Having to Pay for Trump’s New $16 Billion Farmer Bailout
- Education Department implements special-education rule after losing court case
- Should college athletes be paid? Some lawmakers, and a presidential candidate, say yes.
CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
- NYPD officer says he inflated charge against Eric Garner
- A developmentally disabled man lived alone with hundreds of rats. He’s now been awarded $8 million.
- A teenage girl texted her friends a graphic video of herself. A court said she’d shared child pornography.
- Mississippi state lawmaker punched his wife because she didn’t undress fast enough, police say
- Video shows Sacramento police putting ‘spit hood’ over 12-year-old boy’s head during arrest
- This book criticizes racism in the justice system. Arizona prisoners aren’t allowed to read it.
- Police might have broken the law by raiding a reporter’s home. Here’s how they justify it.
PRIESTS & RELIGION
- “Save Chick-fil-A” bill is a thinly-veiled attempt to protect religious privilege – Freedom From Religion Foundation
- An American pastor reportedly gave ‘miracle water’ to Ugandans. It was bleach.
- Houses of worship are supposed to be safe. So why do they keep getting set on fire?
ENVIRONMENT & SCIENCE
- “Best if used by.” The FDA renders its decision on food expiration date labels
- A cadet died in a tragedy. Now his parents can use his sperm to create his child, a judge rules.
- America’s last slave ship is discovered in Alabama waters nearly 160 years later, archaeologists say
- How an ‘extremely dangerous tornado’ carved a destructive path through Missouri’s capital
- Mysterious spike of ozone-destroying chemical is traced to east China
- New waves of violent storms threaten central U.S., following more than 60 tornadoes, widespread flooding
- NOAA predicts 4 to 8 hurricanes in 2019 Atlantic season outlook, urging preparedness
- Officials fighting U.S. measles outbreaks threaten to use rare air travel ban
- Scientists discover China has been secretly emitting banned ozone-depleting gas
- Sherpa climbs Everest twice in a week, breaks his record with his 24th ascent
- The child was skipping rocks at the zoo. Now a flamingo is dead.
- Velocity is strangling baseball — and its grip keeps tightening
- Violent tornadoes lash Missouri, killing 3 and causing extensive damage
- Senate approves deal on disaster aid, leaves out border money Trump demanded
- Beam me up, Kentucky? George Takei tweets he’s ‘tempted’ to take on Mitch McConnell
- Nevada Poised To Become 15th State To Ditch Electoral College
- Nevada Senate passes bill that would give Electoral College votes to winner of national popular vote
- Opinion | Australia’s shocking election offers a warning to Democrats
- Opinion | Jon Tester to Democrats: ‘There is no secret sauce’
- Sen. Ron Wyden is tired of Republicans ignoring election security
- More and more states want the popular vote to decide the 2020 election. Nevada may be next.
- “Elizabeth Warren called me!” is turning into a Twitter meme — Warren is calling her supporters to say thanks. It’s a savvy political strategy.
- An Iowa town hall shows promise for Beto O’Rourke, as well as challenges ahead
- Beto O’Rourke: U.S. should make a “serious, sober decision” to impeach Donald Trump
- Buttiegieg backs NFL players’ right to protest during anthem: I ‘put my life on the line to defend’ that
- Buttigieg: ‘It’s disgusting’ that Trump is reportedly considering pardoning soldiers convicted of war crimes
- Buttigieg: Trump faked being disabled to get out of Vietnam
- GOP challenger Bill Weld turns up heat on Trump: ‘Seems he would prefer an Aryan nation’
- Poll: 60 percent say Trump should not be reelected
- While teaching, Elizabeth Warren worked on more than 50 legal matters, charging as much as $675 an hour
- Whose uncles are these?
- Slowly and Persistently, Elizabeth Warren Is On the Rise
PROGRESS IS PROGRESS
- ‘I’m gay’: Mormon Republican lawmaker in Utah comes out
- Harriet Tubman is already appearing on $20 bills whether Trump officials like it or not
IN OTHER NEWS…
- The ‘Game of Thrones’ finale didn’t answer all of our questions. Here are 13 things still bothering us.
- ‘Game of Thrones’ is just a TV show. So why do people feel personally affected by the finale?
- ‘Photographing unreal people in unreal settings at real moments’: Behind the scenes of Sergio Leone’s ‘Once Upon a Time in the West’
- Fans who spent thousands on Women’s World Cup tickets irate to learn seats are not together
- How to put a lifetime of love into words – The Lily
- In spoiler fight, Hollywood has its free-speech moment
That’s it for the last couple days. Once again, I haven’t been on Twitter or Social Media for the last few days. Things have been crazy. It doesn’t help when everyone in the house is sick.
My favorite news was Stephen Calk’s indictment. I saw a story earlier in the day that Calk was up for a major post in the financial side of the government. The New York Field Office was like “Nope, fuck that.”
Welcome to The Indicted Mr. Calk. I hope bribing Paul Manafort was worth it.
Thank you, and have a good one.
“Without Journalists, it’s just propaganda.”
– Katy Tur
One thought on “Check-In 05/23/2019”