Monday, May 6, 2019 through May 12th. Published on Tuesday May 14th.
THE RUSSIAN INVESTIGATION
- Full Text of the Mueller Report’s Executive Summaries
- Guide to the Mueller Report’s Findings on “Collusion”
- In reversal, Trump says Mueller ‘should not testify’ before Congress
- Robert Mueller ‘is going to testify’: Rep. Adam Schiff
- For a Guy Who’s “Totally Exonerated,” Trump Sure Is Invested in Keeping Mueller Quiet
- Ex-Giuliani Assistant ‘100% Confident’ Prosecutor Rudy Would’ve Indicted Trump
- 375 former prosecutors say Trump would be indicted if he weren’t president
- 400 former DOJ prosecutors: Mueller had enough evidence to charge Trump
- 426 Former Prosecutors (and counting!): Trump Committed “Multiple” Felonies
- List of former federal prosecutors accusing Trump of obstruction nears 700
- Trump reportedly asked Don McGahn to publicly announce he did not obstruct justice. McGahn refused.
- Trump would have been charged with obstruction were he not president, hundreds of former federal prosecutors assert
- Trump would have ‘multiple charges for obstruction’ if he wasn’t president, hundreds of former prosecutors say
- White House Asked McGahn to Declare Trump Never Obstructed Justice
- White House tells Congress that if it wants documents from former counsel Donald McGahn, it must seek White House approval
- Barr Is Wrong: Mueller Was Dead Right on Trump and Obstruction
- McGahn refused request by White House to say Trump did not obstruct justice after Mueller report’s release
- Trump Downgrades ‘No Obstruction’ To … ‘Essentially No Obstruction’
- Trump is already colluding with a foreign government to get reelected
- Trump obstruction: More than 500 former prosecutors say president should face ‘multiple felony charges’. Officials back statement rejecting attorney general’s decision to clear Republican leader of wrongdoing
- Primer on Executive Privilege and the Executive Branch Approach to Congressional Oversight
- Reddit: Trump Asserts Executive Privilege Over Full Mueller Report
- Trump’s claim that the Mueller Report is protected by executive privilege is hot garbage
- White House asserts executive privilege over Mueller report in latest confrontation with Congress
- Walt Shaub: This ludicrous distortion of executive privilege is nothing but a delay tactic. The Mueller report isn’t advice to the President, which is what the privilege is meant to protect. But I guess Trump’s efforts to conceal the report show he finally understands how bad it is for him.
- Feds open foreign-money investigation into Trump donor Cindy Yang
- 911corlebra777: FBI have just opened an investigation into Cindy Yang to see if she was a conduit for money coming from mainland China into Trump’s re-election campaign. Ding Ding Ding 🔥
- FBI opens corruption probe into Trump donor in Florida: report
- Did Cindy Yang funnel Chinese cash into Donald Trump’s 2020 campaign?
- Another Chinese American Trump Donor Tried to Sell Mar-a-Lago Access to Overseas Clients
- Giuliani Is Asking a Foreign Government to Interfere in the 2020 Election
- Sen. Chris Murphy calls for probe into Giuliani efforts in Ukraine on behalf of Trump
- DC court disbars Manafort over criminal convictions
- Documents Detail Meetings Of Russians With Treasury, Federal Reserve
- Former Prosecutors: Trump Deserves To Be Charged with ‘Multiple’ Felonies
- No Democrats have read the less-redacted Mueller report. But five Republicans have.
- Rod Rosenstein resigned and thanked Trump for his ‘courtesy’. Is this the saddest ever case of Stockholm syndrome?
- Rubio knew about election hacking but was restricted in what he could say in Nelson’s defense
- Spokesman: Mueller leaving Justice Department ‘within the coming days’
- Top Dem on Mueller findings: ‘This is bigger than Watergate was’
- Pelosi says she agrees with Nadler that U.S. is in ‘constitutional crisis’
- Nancy Pelosi: Trump and his Administration’s decision to ignore the oath of office has triggered a constitutional crisis. It’s appalling that the Administration is an obstacle to protecting our elections & getting the truth for the American people. #FreeMueller
- Angry White House Staffer: I told you guys Pelosi would get here eventually. Her “self-impeachment” talk is also just edging them towards the big dance.
- Greg Olear: I agree that Nancy knows what she’s doing and is playing Trump like a big orange Stradivarius. BUT we MUST keep up the drumbeat and DEMAND impeachment. That’s OUR job.
- Nancy Pelosi Still Does Not Fully Grasp That the Trump Crisis Is Here and Now
- Pelosi, Schumer Joint Statement on Senator McConnell’s Declaration of ‘Case Closed’ — Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Leader Chuck Schumer issued this joint statement after Senator McConnell’s declaration on the Senate Floor that the Mueller Report is “case closed”:
- ‘Case not closed, buddy’: Warren goes all in on Trump impeachment
- Adam Schiff: Trump’s additional obstruction of Congress “does add weight to impeachment”
- Americans’ support for impeaching Trump rises: Reuters/Ipsos poll
- Call the Republicans’ bluff. Impeach Trump
- Elizabeth Warren Calls for Impeachment Proceedings to Begin Against President Trump
- Elizabeth Warren calls for Trump’s impeachment on Senate floor
- If This Is a Constitutional Crisis, Act Like It | Democrats in Congress need to deploy all their powers, including impeachment.
- Impeach Trump Now, Advocates Say as They Deliver Over 10 Million Signatures to Congress
- McConnell Tried to Shut the Door on the Mueller Report. Warren Called to Impeach Trump Instead. – She spent nearly an hour reading from the report to make the case.
- More Democrats Call For Impeachment Proceedings Against President Trump
- Nadler, Deutch, Swalwell Introduce Bill to Ensure Presidents Can be Held Accountable for Criminal Conduct — The No President Is Above the Law Act would pause the statute of limitations for any federal offense committed by a sitting president.
- Support for impeaching Trump rises: poll
- Democrats move to hold Barr in contempt over failure to release full Mueller report – live
- House moves to hold William Barr in contempt of Congress
- House Judiciary panel moving to hold AG Barr in contempt
- Democrats prepare to hold William Barr in contempt
- House Judiciary Plans to Move to Contempt Proceedings Against William Barr
- House Judiciary Committee schedules a Wednesday vote to hold Attorney General William Barr in contempt of Congress
- Democrats Prepare Contempt Order for Attorney General William Barr
- Wednesday: House Judiciary to Markup Contempt Report for AG Barr
- House Judiciary to begin contempt proceedings against Bill Barr this week
- Democrats schedule contempt markup for Barr over Mueller report
- House Democrats to hold contempt vote Wednesday after Barr misses deadline to provide complete Mueller report
- House Democrats move closer to holding Barr in contempt, raising questions about fate of former Trump counsel Donald McGahn
- Adam Schiff is considering fining Trump officials held in contempt of Congress $25,000 a day
- DOJ threatens executive privilege over Mueller report if Dems carry out contempt vote
- House Judiciary Recommends Barr Be Held In Contempt Over Mueller Report
- House panel votes to hold Barr in contempt; Trump asserts executive privilege over Mueller report
- Schiff considers fining Trump officials held in contempt $25,000 a day
- William Barr is in contempt. Congress should send him to jail.
- FBI chief Wray says spying didn’t occur on Trump campaign, refuting AG Barr
- Comey says Barr has ‘lost most of his reputation’ by acting like Trump’s lawyer
- William Barr Is Abetting ‘Most Authoritarian President’ Trump In a ‘Cover-Up,’ Watergate Journalist Carl Bernstein Says
- FBI director tells Congress he has no evidence of ‘spying’ on Trump campaign
- The Mueller Report Isn’t The Only Thing That William Barr Is Hiding
- Marco Rubio in 2012: ‘No one can be above the law, not even the Attorney General’
- READ: Treasury secretary letter denying House Democrats’ request for Trump’s tax returns
- Treasury denies Democrats’ demand for Trump tax returns, again
- Treasury Refuses To Turn Trump Tax Returns Over to Congress
- Treasury denies Democrats’ request for Trump tax returns
- Trump’s treasury secretary refuses to provide president’s tax returns to Congress
- U.S. Treasury’s Mnuchin refuses to release Trump’s tax returns to Congress
- US Treasury will not hand over Trump tax returns to Congress
- Treasury Secretary Mnuchin officially refuses to give Trump’s tax returns to Democrats, setting up high-stakes showdown
- House committee subpoenas Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig over Trump tax returns
- Dems Threaten to Fine Mnuchin $25,000 a Day Until He Coughs Up Trump’s Tax Returns
- A former Bush ethics chief calls for Steven Mnuchin to release Donald Trump’s tax returns or go “to the slammer”
- Steven Mnuchin is evidently violating a clear-cut law to shield Trump’s tax returns. Will the courts side with him?
- Why Mnuchin Doesn’t Want You to See Trump’s Tax Returns — If it wasn’t clear before, then it’s clear now: The White House is waging a war on the principles of transparency and oversight.
- ‘If Mnuchin Doesn’t Comply, Throw Him in Jail’: House Democrats Subpoena Trump Tax Returns
- Keeping Trump’s Tax Returns Secret Is an Insanely Huge Security Risk
- Trump’s treasury secretary ‘breaks law’ by refusing to hand over president’s tax returns for investigation
- Donald Trump Jr. has been subpoenaed — by a Republican-controlled Senate committee
- Donald Trump Jr. subpoenaed by Senate Intelligence Committee for further testimony on Trump campaign’s Russia contacts
- Firestorm erupts around Sen. Richard Burr, man behind Donald Trump Jr. subpoena. He’s not backing down
- Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump Should Be Subpoenaed Like Donald Trump Jr. Says Ex-Federal Prosecutor
- Senate Intelligence Committee subpoenas Donald Trump Jr. in Russia probe: NBC News
- Ed Krassenstein: BREAKING: Sen. Richard Blumenthal just said that he’s prepared to send Donald Trump Jr. to prison if he doesn’t cooperate with his Senate subpoena. It’s about time! All in favor, RETWEET!
- Angry White House Staffer: GOP sure is determined to stop Don Jr going back to the Senate to testify. It’s probably nothing
- Kamala Harris Asks AG William Barr to Rethink His Mueller Testimony After Trump Urges John Kerry Prosecution
- Renato Mariotti: Trump just called for John Kerry to be prosecuted for violating the Logan Act. Ironically when it appeared that Michael Flynn and other Trump associates violated the Logan Act, Trump’s allies argued (correctly) that there had never been a successful Logan Act prosecution. The Logan Act for an unauthorized American citizen to communicate with foreign officials in order to “influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government” in a dispute with the United States or “to defeat the measures of the United States.”
- Kamala Harris: The president all but confirmed today that he improperly asked the DOJ to prosecute John Kerry. I’m now demanding that A.G. Barr answer what he refused to tell me last week – has the White House improperly pressured him to investigate the president’s perceived enemies?
- Walt Shaub: The President should stop calling for his political rivals to be investigated and prosecuted. It’s a dangerous abuse of power, and it won’t end well for America. Or Trump.
- Schumer: McConnell trying to ‘whitewash’ Mueller report findings
- Schumer: McConnell’s ‘case closed’ speech a ‘disgrace’
- Putin Accomplice Mitch McConnell Says Case Closed
- Durbin: McConnell ignored election security because GOP benefited from Russians
- McConnell just lied repeatedly about the Mueller report from the Senate floor
- McConnell providing cover for Russian interference
- Mitch McConnell Broke From Precedent Again To Confirm A Trump Judge | For the third time in history, the Senate advanced a judicial nominee over the objections of both home-state senators.
- Mitch McConnell Leads the Pack in Race to Climb the Farthest Up Trump’s Ass
- Mitch McConnell Will Not Act in Good Faith, Even When the Security of the Country Is at Stake
- Mitch McConnell’s Trump Defense Strategy Is Proof the Republican Party Is an Authoritarian Outfit
- Kyle Griffin: The number of Americans who said Trump should be impeached rose 5 percentage points to 45% since mid-April, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll.
- Americans’ support for impeaching Trump rises: Reuters/Ipsos poll
- Tea Pain: Impeachment support rises 5 points to 45%. (Higher than Trump’s approval %) Two weeks of public hearings and this number will jump to 60%+.
- PostimusMaximus: What’s the point in holding Barr in contempt or having Mueller or anyone else testify if Dems aren’t willing to have impeachment hearings? What was the point of the Special Counsel at all? Apparently Dems wouldn’t do anything regardless of what was found.
- More than 20 Democrats ask court to invalidate Joe Arpaio’s pardon
- Rep. Nadler and 23 other Democrats want Trump’s Sheriff Joe pardon invalidated: Trump’s pardon of a contempt of court charge infringed on the judicial branch ability to impose sanctions for disobedience, they say
- House Intelligence Committee Issues Subpoena for Counterintelligence and Foreign Intelligence Materials in Mueller Investigation, Including Report and Underlying Evidence
- Judge fast-tracks fight over congressional subpoena of Trump financial records
- Schiff: Campaigns shouldn’t be allowed to get foreign help
COHEN, NEW YORK, AND THE OTHER LAWSUITS
- Decade in the Red: Trump Tax Figures Show Over $1 Billion in Business Losses
- 5 Takeaways From 10 Years of Trump Tax Figures: Newly obtained details from the president’s tax returns reveal a decade in the red, with $1.17 billion in business losses.
- Deutsche Bank Is The ‘Rosetta Stone’ To Unlock Trump Finances, Journalist Says
- Donald Trump Lost a Billion Dollars—Just Not His Own. He lost other people’s money, then bogusly claimed the tax benefits of those losses for himself.
- Donald Trump proves tax code spawns risk, debt & speculation for which everybody else pays the price
- Donald Trump says gaming tax system was “sport” while he admonishes poor Americans for using welfare
- Donald Trump, Business Genius, Lost More Than $1 Billion Over 10 Years
- Donald Trump, King of the Losers
- Trump explains his businesses lost so much because he was avoiding tax
- Trump tax returns from 1985-94 show $1 billion in losses: NY Times
- Trump tax returns obtained by New York Times reveal $1B in business losses over decade
- Trump Tax Returns Show Over $1 Billion in Losses: NYT
- Trump’s early financial losses were so steep that he did not pay income taxes for eight years, according to new report
- Trump’s Old Tweet About People Who Don’t Pay Taxes Comes Back To Haunt Him
- The Daily 202: Tax records show how Trump profited off spreading rumors — until investors stopped believing him
- The New York Times Has 10 Years of Gnarly Tax Documents Showing Trump to Be a Mirage of a Man
- How Donald Trump lied his way onto the Forbes 400 richest people list | CBC Radio
- It turns out Trump’s business success was a media-made myth
- NYT: Trump business lost more than $1 billion over 10 years
- O’Brien: “Mysterious” millions came to Trump around 2004
- NY Senate passes bill allowing Congress to request Trump’s state tax returns
- New York Attorney General Sues Trump Treasury Department, IRS
- New York attorney general sues Trump Treasury, IRS
- New York May Release Trump’s Tax Returns, Blow Up His Web of Lies
- Trump fixer Cohen says he helped Falwell handle racy photos
- Trump fixer Michael Cohen says he helped evangelical leader Jerry Falwell Jr. handle racy photos
- Jerry Falwell Jr. endorsed Trump after Cohen took care of ‘racy’ pics: report
- Trump Organization ‘Sold Property to Shell Company Linked to Maduro Regime,’ Says Report
TRUMP THE RUSSIAN ASSET A.K.A. INDIVIDUAL-1
- Trump Defends Don Jr. with Same Words He Used Before Flynn and Manafort Were Convicted
- Trump Doesn’t Want Mueller To Testify Because It’ll Get Media Coverage
- Trump has reportedly ‘stewed for days’ about not wanting Mueller to testify
- Trump is counting on Russian help to get reelected
- Trump picks Patrick Shanahan for defense secretary, White House says. The ex-Boeing executive has been acting head since January.
- Trump reportedly wants to stop Mueller testifying because he is worried it will dominate cable news and captivate America
- Trump says he will increase tariffs on Chinese goods on Friday as he complains about pace of trade talks
- Trump takes over Fourth of July celebration, changing its location and inserting himself into the program
- Trump tries to silence another witness
- Trump wants to change how poverty is calculated — to make fewer people eligible for benefits
- Trump will betray his country — again
- Trump: It would be ‘appropriate’ for me to talk to DOJ about investigating Biden
- Trump’s Suggestion His Term Should Be Extended Is Another Trial Balloon for His Authoritarianism
- Two more years? Trump’s retweet sets off a furor over the idea of bonus time.
- U.S. Couldn’t ‘Survive Another Four Years’ of President Trump, Congressman Adam Schiff Says
- Suddenly conservative lawyers are condemning Trump for abuses of power
- The creeping authoritarianism of Donald Trump
- The President Stole a Child’s Ball on the Golf Course and Crowned Himself Club Champion
- Nobody’s sure how seriously to take Trump’s suggestion he’s owed 2 extra years in office
- Trump, Ivanka, Jared Kushner Sued For Not Keeping Notes In Meetings With Putin, Kim Jong-Un And Others
- Ben Shapiro Storms Out of BBC Interview: ‘I’m Popular and No One’s Ever Heard of You’
- Walt Shaub: The president, who spent the day defying the other two branches of government, thinks it’s hilarious that a member of the crowd suggested murdering families fleeing violence. The hate-fueled mob of “fine people” surrounding him explode into uproarious laughter and falsetto hoots.
- George Takei: To the half of white Republicans polled, who say it would bother them some or a lot to hear a foreign language spoken in a public place, I’m truly very sorry that あなたは無知だ.
- Revenge of the Coastal Elites — How California, Oregon and Washington are winning the fight against Trump’s hateful policies
- Trump’s Art of the Deal should be ‘recategorised as fiction’ in light of president’s ‘staggering’ losses, book’s co-author suggests
- ‘Art of the Deal’ Ghostwriter Suggests Book Go Out of Print After N.Y. Times Trump Tax Exposé
- Comey says it’s possible the Russians have something compromising on Trump
- Comey: Trump would be charged if he was not President
- Eminent historians: Donald Trump is the founding fathers’ worst nightmare
- George Conway slams Trump for calling Biden ‘creepy’: You ‘palled around with Jeffrey Epstein’
- Jim Comey has it wrong: Trump is a monster, all right — but the GOP created him — Trump may “eat your soul in small bites,” but he’s also serving the GOP’s long-term agenda on taxes and judges
- London’s mayor says Trump ‘not in same class’ as Obama and Bush, not worthy of state visit to Britain
- Opinion | Trump has the attention span of a gnat. It’s destroying our foreign policy.
- Over the course of 17 hours, President Donald Trump repeated 17 false and misleading claims
EMERGENCIES, SHUTDOWN & IMMIGRATION
- From the border, more frustrating immigration numbers for President Trump
- Mexico wants to decriminalize all drugs and negotiate with the U.S. to do the same
- ‘One More Reason to Refuse to Give Defense Department $733 Billion’ as Pentagon Shifts Funds to Trump Border Wall
- Trump Laughs at Supporter’s Proposal to Shoot Immigrants: ‘That’s only in the panhandle you can get away with that, folks,’ he said. ‘Only in the panhandle!’
- U.S. asylum screeners to take more confrontational approach as Trump aims to turn more migrants away at the border
- U.S. Government Bars Gay Couple’s 2-Year-Old from Citizenship: ‘The Fight Is Not Over,’ Says Dad
- Trump administration is trying to strip a child of American citizenship because he has two dads
RACISM, RIGHT WING TERRORISM, & WHITE NATIONALISM
- Facebook auto-generates videos celebrating extremist images
- Caroline Orr: holy crap. A new whistleblower complaint to the SEC shows that Facebook is auto-generating extremist propaganda, including over 30 auto-generated pages for white supremacist groups and at least one auto-generated page for al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula.
- Thread by @RVAwonk: “holy crap. A new whistleblower complaint to the SEC shows that Facebook is auto-generating extremist propaganda, including over 30 auto-gene […]”
- A mayor reportedly said her city isn’t ready for a black leader. A council member went further.
- Ga. Mayor Says City is ‘Not Ready’ for Black Employee. Councilman Agrees, Citing Jesus’ Stance Against Race-Mixing
- Prosecutors fight pretrial release of Coast Guard officer accused of planning an attack
- Swastika Flyers Dropped By Drone On Ariana Grande Concert, Sacramento State Campus
- Teacher accused of censoring a MAGA T-shirt says she’s a Trump voter who just followed orders
- Tennessee judge shares links saying ‘Jews should get the f*** over the Holocaust’ and calling Muslims ‘foreign mud’
- U.S. mosques see heightened security concerns for Ramadan
SCOTUS & COURTS
- Retired Justice Stevens: Trump ‘exercising powers that do not really belong to him’
- Retired Supreme Court Justice: Trump ‘exercising powers that do not really belong to him’
#METOO & WOMEN’S RIGHTS
- Kaz Weida: I’ve had an ectopic pregnancy. Without lifesaving surgery that my insurance covered I would have died on Christmas Day in 2010. My fallopian tube burst. Twice. Ohio is apparently cool with letting women like me bleed out. How very pro-life of them.
- Tim Dickinson: People who are opposed to abortion should fine men $50,000 if they impregnate a woman without her consent. the people who back abortion bans like to get biblical about it, so maybe cull a nut too. that’s a mistake he won’t make more than once. men are the cause of 100 percent of unwanted pregnancies. hold _them_ bodily accountable.
- Hoarse Whisperer: Pro-lifers have spent decades using litigation to try to rob women of autonomy. Here’s an idea: return the favor As states like GA prep abortion bans, craft a plan to sue men for damages for unwanted pregnancies. Not child support. Damages. To career, income and oppty. Women suffer both near- and long-term consequences of having children. Men being sued for hundreds of thousands of dollars for their share of liability would be… interesting. Represent the plaintiffs pro bono. Publicize the cases. Make every bit public and costly for men.
- Jessica Valenti: It’s fascinating to see people argue that women won’t really be punished if abortion is illegal. Here are some things that have *already* happened to women despite Roe: THREAD
- Thread by @JessicaValenti: “It’s fascinating to see people argue that women won’t really be punished if abortion is illegal. Here are some things that have *already* ha […]”
- Actors and filmmakers are refusing to work in Georgia because of its latest abortion restriction
- Alabama Senate delays vote on nation’s strictest abortion bill
- Allison Mack may testify against NXIVM cult leader Keith Raniere in court
- ‘Can women coach? Hell, yeah’: Buccaneers’ Bruce Arians…
- Chaos erupts as Alabama Senate strips rape exception from abortion ban, delays vote
- Four Production Companies Say They Won’t Film in Georgia Over Abortion Law
- Georgia governor signs ‘heartbeat bill,’ giving the state one of the most restrictive abortion laws in the nation
- Hundreds of women die each year from pregnancy issues. Most of the deaths could be prevented
- In Alabama, an Anti-Choice Protester Tried to Run Over an Abortion Clinic Escort – Rewire.News
- Jordan Peele, J.J. Abrams will shoot HBO drama in Georgia, donate their fees to fight ‘heartbeat’ abortion bill
- Judge strikes down Kentucky law banning abortion procedure
- Kentucky abortion law is struck down by a federal judge
- Maryland just banned placing pregnant inmates in solitary confinement. Yes, that was apparently happening.
- Meghan McCain, John McCain’s daughter, is the very definition of toxic femininity
- Prosecutors say Kraft’s attorneys lied in court
- R Kelly judgment withdrawn after lawyers say he can’t read
- Should 11-year-old girls have to bear their rapists’ babies? Ohio says yes.
- Three Production Companies Say They Won’t Film in Georgia Over Abortion Law
COLD WAR 2.0
- Ten former Danske Bank managers charged over Estonia case: Berlingske
- Bill Browder: BREAKING: Serious law enforcement action in Denmark. Ten former Danske Bank managers charged over Estonia money laundering case
- Member of Sophisticated China-Based Hacking Group Indicted for Series of Computer Intrusions, Including 2015 Data Breach of Health Insurer Anthem Inc. Affecting Over 78 Million People
- Andrew Laufer, ESQ: Boom. @ericgarland @ninaandtito @JamesFourM @thespybrief we are still being attacked by our enemies. We will see them being held to task more and more in the near future.
- Angry White House Staffer: – North Korea launches more missiles. – US seizes North Korean coal ship – US halts effort to recover remains from North Korea I don’t think the bromance is going to last.
- Pompeo makes unannounced visit to Baghdad amid rising tensions with Iran
- ‘A world first’ – Boris Johnson to face private prosecution over Brexit campaign claims – Independent.ie
- American siblings trapped in China make public plea for help: “We wake up every morning terrified”
- Death toll rises as Gaza militants fire hundreds of rockets into Israel, which responds with airstrikes
- Iran announces it will stop complying with parts of landmark nuclear deal
- Iran’s spiritual power play
- I led a platoon in Iraq. Trump is wrong to pardon war criminals.
- Trump’s pardon of US soldier is an endorsement of war crimes, says ACLU
- President Trump Pardoned a Murderer
- Secretary of State Pompeo makes unscheduled trip to Iraq amid warnings Iran is considering attack on U.S. forces in Middle East
- U.S. issues new sanctions against Iran on anniversary of Trump’s withdrawal from nuclear deal
- U.S. seizes North Korean coal ship, accuses Pyongyang of violating sanctions
- Trump’s top intelligence and military advisers held unusual meeting at CIA on Iran, officials say
- Trump’s secretary of state cancels meeting with Merkel at last minute due to ‘pressing issues’
- Founder of Moms Demand responds to death threats from NRA: ‘I’ll never stop exposing your deadly agenda’
- Shannon Watts: I’m a fulltime volunteer. I make zero dollars. Unlike Wayne LaPierre and Chris Cox, I’m not a registered lobbyist. Mike Bloomberg is one of 350,000+ donors. And that’s what you don’t get, @NRA – I am just a mom. And that’s why I’ll never stop exposing your deadly agenda.
- Adam Schiff: “I was holding a baseball bat, because I was going to go down fighting.” Nate is in sixth grade. Twelve years old. As a father, watching this interview was gut-wrenching. No child should have to think like this. But they do. Enough is enough
- Shannon Watts: Yep – I disabled the comments after receiving several dozen death threats against me and my children, which is exactly why the @NRA tagged me in the first place. I – and @MomsDemand – have been the most effective at exposing their moral bankruptcy, and they don’t like it. THREAD
- Shannon Watts: More than 1,000 guns worth $7 million were seized from a man’s home Los Angeles. He was arrested on suspicion of possessing, selling and manufacturing assault weapons. #caleg
- ‘I think it’s a cap gun,’ the police officer said. He opened fire on an eighth-grader moments later.
- Kendrick Castillo was about to graduate from high school. Then a classmate began shooting.
- Leaked Documents Allege the NRA Has Been Spending $100,000 a Day on Lawyers
- Leaked Documents: Oliver North Warned NRA Over $24 Million in Legal Bills
- Leaked NRA Documents Reveal Gun Group Drowning In Legal Fees
- One student dead, eight others wounded in shooting at suburban Denver school
- Sources: 1 student dead in Highland Ranch school shooting
- The Push to Not Name Mass Shooters Is Catching On
- There have been 15 school shootings in the US so far this year
FIXING THE INTERNET
- Millions of people uploaded photos to the Ever app. Then the company used them to develop facial recognition tools.
- Facebook Co-Founder Says Company Is ‘Dangerous,’ Should Be Broken Up | HuffPost
- GOP senator announces bill to ban ‘manipulative’ video game design
- Instagram will begin blocking hashtags that return anti-vaccination misinformation
THE AOC SHOW
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Says GOP Is Basically Dwight Schrute From ‘The Office’
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez tackles myth that poverty is a measure of one’s character
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: If Congress Gets 3 Months’ Parental Leave, So Should Everyone | The freshman lawmaker emphasized that her “unusual” leave policy applies to both mothers and fathers on her staff.
- AOC introduces her latest ‘unusual’ policy—3 months of paid parental leave for her staff
- AOC: That’s too bad. The President does not exist above Congress, he governs alongside us. That’s what co-equal means. If he prefers to rule by fiat, he’s welcome to resign and return to the Trump Org tax-fraud fiefdom in the private sector whenever he pleases. Checks & balances ✅
- AOC: Wouldn’t you think someone who personally lost over a BILLION dollars (“more than nearly any other taxpayer in America”) be vulnerable to shady activity to get out of that hole? If they became the most powerful public servant in America, wouldn’t you want to see their taxes? 🤔
- Ocasio-Cortez becomes youngest woman to preside over House
- Ocasio-Cortez Becomes Youngest Woman to Preside Over House
- Ocasio-Cortez calls Joe Biden’s climate change plan a ‘dealbreaker’
THE PROPAGANDA MACHINE
“The Power of Propaganda” Facts: 1. The world’s worst businessman loses more money than any other American, over more than a decade. 2. Actual NYC billionaires call him a conman. Openly. 3. Gambino underboss does an interview with Diana Sawyer, naming Donald Trump as his front…
4. Mark Burnett visits new Russian President and former KGB agent, Putin, at the Kremlin. Returns back to NYC and goes straight for Donald Trump. “Pitches” him a show. 5. A decade plus of “The Apprentice” – a f*cking tv show, promotes Donald as a successful billionaire…
6. Trump launches Presidential campaign in 2015 – based solely on propaganda of his business success. Enough Americans believe him to elect him. (“Winning!”) 7. 2+ years in, avalanche of facts continue to prove Trump is biggest biz failure in American history. And mobbed-up…
8. 30% (we’re told) of Americans believe the fake TV show over avalanche of facts, incl. hard financial data. There is no telling or showing them otherwise. They believe the TV show. That’s the power of propaganda. Just as Putin knew it would be, all those yrs ago w/Mark Burnett.
- ‘It’s Fox News viewers vs. everyone else,’ new poll concludes
- Cable News Is Covering Biden As Much As Every Other Democratic Candidate Combined
- Tucker Carlson says Democrats are ‘fascist’ for threats to jail political opponent: Wait until the Fox News host hears about Trump.
- Sarah Sanders leads “mass purge” of White House reporters with new press-room rules
- The White House revoked my press pass. It’s not just me — it’s curtailing access for all journalists.
- White House revokes press passes for dozens of journalists
- Judge Napolitano: Barr’s ‘Foolish Attempt’ to Sanitize Mueller Report Was ‘Dumb and Insulting’ — ‘It was misleading, it was disingenuous, it was even deceptive,’ the Fox News senior judicial analyst said.
WHITE HOUSE CHAOS
- The White House buys foreign flowers as US growers see business wilt
- Melania Trump marks the first anniversary of Be Best
- ‘Safety was just a given’: Inside Boeing’s boardroom amid the 737 Max crisis
- Fliers plan to avoid Boeing 737 Max jets for a year or more, Barclays survey concludes
- At least 3 pets were aboard a plane that skidded into a river. Now they’re presumed dead.
- Russian passenger jet catches fire on runway in Moscow, killing 41 people
TRADE WAR, HEALTH CARE, AND ECONOMY
- PostimusMaximus: A common right-wing argument is that paying people more will speed up automation. I promise you that everyone who can is working on automating everything as quickly as they can already. Its a nonsensical argument to pretend they aren’t.
- Trump administration accuses Chinese officials of ‘reneging’ on earlier commitments in trade talks, reaffirms plan to raise tariffs
- Trump’s steel tariffs cost U.S. consumers $900,000 for every job created, experts say
- U.S. and China arrive at moment of reckoning in trade dispute
- Uber and Lyft drivers strike for pay transparency — after algorithms made it harder to understand
- ‘Are these tariffs going to happen?’ U.S. retailers fearful as they try to plan for holidays.
- A “caravan” of Americans is crossing the Canadian border to get affordable medical care
- After latest threats, Chinese see Trump as a Marvel villain out to destroy them
- China warns of ‘countermeasures’ against U.S. products if Trump increases tariffs
- Goldman says the costs of Trump’s tariffs have fallen ‘entirely’ on US businesses and households
- It seems easier to go carless nowadays. But should you? Here are nine factors to ponder.
- Jeff Bezos Is a Post-Earth Capitalist
- Kudlow acknowledges U.S. consumers, not China, pay for tariffs on imports
- MyPillow Lays Off 150 Workers Months After CEO Credited Trump Tax Cuts for Economic Boom
- Utah students track a 150-year-old race to join the East and West by rail
- Elizabeth Warren’s plan to cancel student debt is popular with voters, survey finds
- ‘It’s embarrassing to the kids’: Students who owe lunch money will get only a cold jelly sandwich, district says
- When Sam Gordon was 9, she beat boys at football. Now she wants a high school league for girls.
- Betsy DeVos: ‘There is no such thing as public money’ and 5 other revealing things she just said — or wouldn’t say
- Parent who paid $400,000 to get his child into Georgetown pleads guilty
- Father pleads guilty to fraud conspiracy in case involving Georgetown admissions
GOP: THE PARTY OF LINCOLN IS DEAD
- Renato Mariotti: Republicans need to ask themselves whether they want to live in a nation where a president could commit crimes and hide evidence of those crimes from the House of Representatives, the only body that could act on that evidence. After all, Trump won’t be president forever.
- The Republican War on Democracy
- See the Striking Video Revealing GOP Impeachment Hypocrisy
- Republicans who said they’d protect people with pre-existing conditions vote against bill to do that
- I’m the Longest-Serving Republican in the Iowa Legislature, and I’m Switching Parties
- Longest-Serving Iowa Republican Becoming a Democrat, Blames Trump
- History will judge sycophantic Republicans harshly
CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
- Conan O’Brien: Why I Decided to Settle a Lawsuit Over Alleged Joke Stealing
- Dirty money driving up B.C. home prices as more than $40-billion laundered across Canada in 2018
- Florida man driving lawn mower charged with DUI after hitting a police car, cops say
- It began with a traffic violation and ended with a woman pulling a gator from her yoga pants
PRIESTS & RELIGION
- Pope orders clergy to report sex abuse
- It’s time for us to have an unapologetic atheist in the Oval Office
- Because of Rachel Held Evans: More female pastors, more diverse writers and more Christians embracing their faith
ENVIRONMENT & SCIENCE
- ‘He is wrong’: Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s family calls him out for anti-vax conspiracy theories
- 9 dead gray whales have washed up in the Bay Area. A scientist says that’s ‘very unusual.’
- A medical condition or just a difference? The question roils autism community.
- A rising trend in cancer care targets physical, existential threats patients confront
- As traffic fatalities rise, cities take street safety lessons to the classroom
- Columbus brought measles to the New World. It was a disaster for Native Americans.
- For three years her skin ulcers and pain would flare, then vanish, stumping doctors. Her daughter, a nurse, finally figured it out.
- Germany’s health minister proposes a $2,790 anti-vaxxer charge
- In Trump vs. California, the state is winning nearly all its environmental cases
- Landmark UN plastic waste pact gets approved but not by US
- Microbes called extremophiles might combat superbugs, biowarfare agents
- One million species face extinction, U.N. panel says. And humans will suffer as a result.
- Porsche fined $598M for diesel emissions cheating
- Teen who sued over school ban for refusing vaccine now has chickenpox
- The Green New Deal isn’t big enough
- The No. 1 reason to become a vegan — it’s not about your health
- US is hotbed of climate change denial, major global survey finds
- When Doctors and Nurses Can Disclose and Discuss Errors, Hospital Mortality Rates Decline
- Wild tigers face extinction. This man pursues those responsible.
- Winter is still hanging on in pockets of the Lower 48. Here’s where you can find it.
- The Senate Is as Much of a Problem as Trump
- Poll: Most voters support abolishing Electoral College
- Stacey Abrams’s next move could bolster Democrats in Georgia — and her own political fortunes
- Prosecutor: Proof of election fraud in US House race in Va.
- Biden’s Middle-of-the-Road Climate Plan Condemned as “Stunningly Un-Ambitious” and a “Death Sentence for Livable Planet”
- Elizabeth Warren reshaped our view of the middle class. But some see an angle.
- Joe Biden claims he was a staunch liberal in the Senate. He wasn’t
- Kamala Harris calls for scrapping Trump tax law: ‘Get rid of the whole thing’
- Kamala Harris says that without voter suppression, Stacey Abrams and Andrew Gillum would’ve won their 2018 races
- ‘Our kids’ lives are at stake’: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez slams Joe Biden over his ‘middle-ground’ approach to fighting climate change
- Sanders rips Trump for saying Mueller should not testify: ‘You are not a dictator’
- ‘She feels like my neighbor’: Elizabeth Warren is surprisingly winning voters on the campaign trail by not acting like a politician
- The Trailer: What we learned about 2020 Democratic candidates so far
- Trump backers applaud Warren in heart of MAGA country
- Trade war threatens to roil 2020 race as Republicans complain about the tariffs Trump loves
- Experts on Warren’s $100 billion opioid plan: ‘There’s a tremendous amount to like’
PROGRESS IS PROGRESS
- Sanders, AOC Propose Letting Postal Service Provide Basic Banking Services
- Schiff Introduces Constitutional Amendment to Overturn Citizens United
- As legal marijuana booms, Denver votes on decriminalizing hallucinogenic mushrooms
- Denver becomes the first U.S. city to effectively decriminalize psilocybin mushrooms, outlawed by the U.S. government since 1970
- Denver voters apparently reject decriminalization of ‘magic mushrooms’
- North Dakota quietly decriminalized marijuana – The state is the 25th to decriminalize or legalize weed.
- Millennials Want To Overhaul America, But Boomer Power Isn’t Going Away
- These deaf entrepreneurs are launching a tiny house vacation spot. They hope their hearing visitors leave enlightened.
IN OTHER NEWS…
- ‘We had landed in Hooterville’: Paper pulls complaint of ‘slovenly’ opera outfits after uproar
- At the CIA, she’s an operative with a paintbrush
- Royal baby: A boy, and a break from tradition, for Prince Harry and Meghan
- Britain’s Prince Harry and Meghan show off new son but hold off revealing name — for now
- Forget Maximum Security’s misstep; the whole of horse racing is a foul
- French adventurer completes trip across the Atlantic Ocean in a huge barrel
- In Pennsylvania, May 23 will be ‘143 Day’ in tribute to Mr. Rogers, the state’s kindest native son
- On Mother’s Day, my daughter was 10 weeks old, and my mom had 3 weeks to live
- The 12 things that are really bothering us on ‘Game of Thrones’ right now
- Angry White House Staffer: This is what you call getting out in front of the narrative, folks. Mueller’s testimony is coming. I gotta say, though: “Essentially innocent” doesn’t have the same ring to it. 🤣🤣
- Lincoln’s Bible: (Regarding Macro Rubio) I’m enjoying this weak man’s panic from being confronted by his own words. As legendary mob lawyer, Murray Richman, says: “When the words are in your mouth, you’re the master. Once they’re out, you’re the slave.”
- Rick Wilson: Hey can anyone tell me where Paul Manafort and Michael Cohen are right now?
- Tea Pain: Trump keeps claimin’ the Mueller Report “exonerated my son.” FUN FACT: The Mueller Report “exonerated” no one.
- Countercheckist: Asserting “executive privilege” over a report he says fully exonerates him, is peak @realdonaldtRUmp.
- Melissa Kester: Trump is not the sharpest tool in the shed. But once he realizes on a primal level that something is bad for him, he acts in extreme ways.
- Reddit: Today was a Good Day
That’s it for last week. I need to change some things up. I can’t keep up with a daily post schedule, but at the same time doing a weekly post is unwieldy. I can’t keep track of what’s happening on which days. So, I’ve got a plan. It’s probably not a good one and has all likelihood of failing and destroying Gallifrey, but it’s still a plan.
Instead of doing a Daily Check-In 5 times a week, I’ll cut it down to 3 times a week with a standard publishing schedule. Monday and Tuesday will be published on Tuesday night or Wednesday. Wednesday and Thursday on Thursday night to Friday, and Friday and the weekend on either Sunday night or Monday.
The next post will be up tomorrow for Monday and Tuesday, but there won’t be much if anything at all in the Rumor Mill posts. I haven’t been on Twitter for a few days. Things have been crazy and I’ve been in the middle of a depressive funk for a while.
I don’t like to discuss too many personal details here, but as I mentioned before my dad had a stroke back in March and I’ve had to take over his affairs since he can no longer take care of himself. That means I have to pay his bills, put him in a home, handle other expenses, and coordinate with everyone about how he’s doing. The bills and stuff are stressful, but the hardest part of this is dealing with him.
I’ve alluded to his behavior before, but he is an asshole. A narcissistic asshole who’s behavior as a father would nowadays be classified as child abuse. I haven’t gotten along with him in a very long time. I don’t love him, and haven’t felt anything resembling love towards him since I was a little kid. It’s hard to feel love for someone who would tell you to your face that he wished he was still single and didn’t have kids, effectively nullifying your entire existence. And it’s even more of a dick move to say that to a 7 year old. That’s just scratching the surface of his behavior. He was always angry and yelling when Mom wasn’t around and scream at me for everything from the dinner being too cold to how much he hates his job to how he was a minute getting home because he got stuck at a light. Things got real bad when Mom got sick, and there was a time when I chose homelessness over living with him.
I don’t have many good memories left of his house. It was my childhood home, but I never felt safe when he was there. Sure, he didn’t hit me, but not for lack of trying or wanting to. I lost count of how many times he threatened to hit me for showing even the slightest emotion that didn’t make him feel good. Of course, he was such a lecherous cheating asshole that he was almost never home. On an average week growing up, he was home less than 24 hours in any given week. Not 24 hours in a row, but through an entire week. If I timed things just right, I could go weeks without seeing him in High School. The only thing worse than not having my father around was having him around.
I moved out in 2003 for the last time. I went VLC, or Very Low Contact with him at that point. Aside from a deal where he paid me to help him with my sick mother once every couple weeks, we didn’t communicate. To be honest, I needed the money but I would have watched my mom for free. He paid me for the hour or two I had to put up with him and his shit. After she died, I cut almost all contact with him. In the past decade before his stroke, I had seen him 15 times. He lives about 25 miles from my house, and would only visit if I drove him. That’s one and a half times per year. I’ve seen the Shawshank Redemption on TV more times in that span, spent more time with that move and have a better relationship with Andy Dufresne than I do with my father. Not that he noticed.
Part of this cold spell included a technique that I’ve learned is called greyrocking. This is used when dealing with a narcissist to deprive them of their precious emotional reaction and validation. I would keep conversations short, uninteresting, and only on surface level things like the weather. I would be about as interesting as a random grey rock on the side of the street. This might explain how he blew through $100,000 paying for the affections of random women including one junkie that OD’ed on him, but that’s a story for another time.
I don’t have good memories of the house. Now, I’m in the middle of deciding its fate. I get to decide whether I flip it on the cheap, repair it and try to get a decent amount for it, fix it up to rent it out, or say fuck it and let the bank take it. Part of me wants to do some construction therapy by destroying things around the house that he built but didn’t care for like the fence and deck, but I have to decide how much work is too much.
I’m going to start working on the Monday Tuesday post right after publishing this. That post will not have much if anything in the Rumor Mill. I haven’t been on Twitter for a few days. I’m also seeing a therapist tomorrow for the first time in a long time. Last time I saw one was back in 2002 when I was in a serious depression. Their advice was to move out of that house and get out on my own. A few months later I packed up a handful of my belongings in a car and left that house for the last time. Now, it’s about fixing me and making me a better person while dealing with someone who makes my skin crawl.
After that, I’m going to take some time and start a search for my sister. And any other siblings that are out there.
Oh, that story is straight out of a fucking movie, but I’ll give the short, short version. My father was a hoarder. While I was going through his collection of Christmas cards from more than a decade ago, I found a letter addressed to him with no return address. Inside of it was a note paper clipped to a picture. The note read the following:
In case you ever wondered. – N
I shit you not, that’s all the note said. The picture was of a woman anywhere from late twenties to early forties that looked WAAYYYY too much like my father for coincidence. Same nose, cheekbones, smile, eyebrows, chin and skin tone. I showed this picture around and the responses all point to the same conclusion: she was his daughter. I’m assuming a different mother, so this woman is most likely my half-sister.
I’ve got my work cut out for me.
Thank you, and have a good one.
“Without Journalists, it’s just propaganda.”
– Katy Tur