Wednesday, February 6, 2019
THE RUSSIAN INVESTIGATION
House Reopens Investigation
- House Intel Democrats Just Restarted and Supercharged the Trump-Russia Probe
- House Intel panel postpones Cohen testimony
- Adam Schiff: I can understand why the idea of meaningful oversight terrifies the President. Several of his close associates are going to jail, others await trial, and criminal investigations continue. We’re going to do our job and won’t be distracted or intimidated by threats or attacks.
- Chairman Schiff Statement on House Intelligence Committee Investigation
- Manu Raju: Michael Cohen delays Friday’s testimony before House Intel. “In the interests of the investigation, Michael Cohen’s testimony has been postponed until February 28th,” Schiff says
- Manu Raju: Schiff announces his and other House panels would work in tandem to examine how Trump’s financial interests driving his decisions – beyond Russia. He said this includes Russians, Saudis and others “We will be conducting our investigation to make sure our country is protected.”
- Pelosi Declares House Will Not Be Intimidated From Its Trump Inquiries
- House committee announces sweeping investigation into Trump’s finances and Russia – CNN Politics
- House Democrats respond to Trump’s call to halt investigations by relaunching Russia probe, investigating his family
- Asha Rangappa: Nooney Tunes recap: 1. Scooby Doo run to WH to look at TS/SCI docs and leak them 2. Creates fake “unmasking” scandal 3. Secretly sends staffer (now on NSC) to try and corner Steele before Mueller got to him 4. Reveals FBI sources in fake FISA scandal Who’s the embarrassment?🙄
IT’S ON LIKE MOTHER FUCKING DONKEY KONG, BITCHES!!!
Not only did the Democrats reopen the investigation into Trump’s ties to Russia, but they’re expanding to include other countries, and to include which Americans helped them, “including members of Congress.”
I hope that Adam Schiff stared right at Devin Nunes as he said that.
- House Intel votes to send witness transcripts to Mueller for possible perjury charges
- House Intelligence Committee expected to send Russia probe transcripts to Mueller
- Manu Raju: The House Intelligence Committee voted to send the special counsel l interview transcripts of witnesses who testified in Russia probe, per multiple Republicans
- MSW Podcast: Schiff postpones Cohen’s testimony -> 2/28 “in the interest of the investigation.” Sounds like Mueller wants to get the other transcripts and charge everyone that lied about the Moscow Tower (like Junior?) before they talk to Cohen and risk leaks. #beans
- Natasha Bertand: In related news, House Intel is voting shortly to send 50+ witness interview transcripts to Mueller “so that he consider whether additional perjury charges are warranted.”
- Natasha Bertrand: Schiff: The House Intel Committee’s Russia investigation “will focus principally on five interconnected lines of inquiry, beginning with these incomplete or unexamined investigative threads:”
- Caroline Orr: NEW: Per @NBCNews, the House Intelligence Committee will send 7,000+ pages of transcripts from hearings & interviews to Mueller. Partial list of transcripts includes: -Jared Kushner – Brad Parscale – Jeff Sessions – Alexander Nix – Steve Bannon – Hope Hicks – Corey Lewandowski – -John Podesta -Debbie Wasserman-Schultz -Donald Trump Jr. -Michael Cohen -Erik Prince -Carter Page -John Brennan -Loretta Lynch -Sally Yates -Andrew McCabe -Susan Rice -James Clapper
- Donald Trump Jr., Jared Kushner Transcripts Sent To Mueller For Possible Perjury Investigation After House Intel Vote
The first step that the new committee performed was authorizing the official transcripts of the interviews to Mueller’s team. This follows up on their promise to make this the first order of business.
Mueller needs the official transcripts from Congress. Without them, he can’t charge anyone with Lying to Congress or Perjury regarding their testimony. It’ll take a few days for them to get the official transcripts, a little bit of time to compare the official ones with the unofficial ones they already have, then a few weeks to take the cases to the Grand Jury and get indictments.
Some people are going to have a VERY bad end to Winter.
- Sioux Falls Man Charged with Wire Fraud and Money Laundering
- Paul Erickson, Russian Agent Maria Butina’s Boyfriend, Indicted for Fraud
- Political operative who was dating alleged Russian spy Maria Butina indicted
- Spicy Mic: WhaaadddUP Our Russian Ginger Kitty’s Boo Paul Erikson totes Indicted cc @ericgarland @LincolnsBible Sioux Falls Man Charged with Wire Fraud and Money Laundering | USAO-SD | Department of Justice
It’s about time. Paul Erickson, Maria Butina’s boyfriend, is indicted on multiple charges of money laundering and wire fraud.
He wasn’t indicted on being a spy for the Russians, but my guess is that these charges are place holders to get him to cop to a plea deal.
- Mueller places sealed document in vault on the same day Cohen’s congressional testimony delayed
- Sealed Document ‘Placed in Vault’ on Same Day House Dems Postpone Michael Cohen Hearin
- Mueller probe filings raise prospect of more indictments
- Treasury misses deadline to hand over documents on Deripaska sanctions
- UNITED STATES SENTENCING COMMISSION GUIDELINES MANUAL 2016
COHEN, NEW YORK, AND THE OTHER LAWSUITS
- Stormy Daniels drops defamation claim against ex-Trump lawyer Michael Cohen
- Mueller places sealed document in vault on the same day Cohen’s congressional testimony delayed
- Sealed Document ‘Placed in Vault’ on Same Day House Dems Postpone Michael Cohen Hearing
- T-Mobile executives seeking merger approval booked more than 52 nights at Trump’s hotel — more than previously known
STATE OF THE UNION
- Nancy Pelosi and the Sarcastic Point Clapback Heard Round the World
- Nancy Pelosi’s Literal Clap-Back At Trump Is The Most Iconic Moment Of The Night
- ‘Queen of Condescending Applause’: Nancy Pelosi clapped at Trump, and the Internet lost it
- Spicy Mic: HAPPY WEDNESDAY friends, I can’t stop watching Madan Speaker’s Thunderdome Clap It’s the greatest burn of all time. Period. 🤓👇🏻ENJOY👇🏻🤓 See ya in a couple of hours… Hi-Ho-Hi-Ho off to work I go Nancy Pelosi claps for President Trump
- Trump uses State of the Union address to emphasize immigration agenda
- Trump’s State of the Union address gives away the game: he fears investigations
- 5 takeaways from Trump’s State of the Union address
- A bullied boy named Trump was an honored guest at the State of the Union. He slept through it.
- At this State of the Union, Trump shares the power — but needles Democrats
- Laurence Tribe: One line stuck out like a sore thumb in Trump’s State of the Union: “If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation.” That’s a ridiculous threat. It equates the search for truth with war. That’s deeply wrong. And it’s unamerican.
- Melania Trump’s presence at the State of the Union marks the end of a long stretch without public events
- President Trump Used the State of the Union to Call for an End to Investigations. So Did Nixon
- Bernie Sanders slams Trump in post-SOTU rebuttal
- Trump pledged to “defeat AIDs” in his SOTU. He’s tried to cut millions from the programs that fight it.
- Angry White House Staffer: Seeing quite a few positive comments on the SOTU last night in the media. Interesting how NOT publicly denigrating people and/or spewing word vomit all over the place is the new bar for Presidential.
- Schumer: Trump’s address was ‘political, divisive, calculating, even nasty at times’
- Caroline Orr: Remember when Trump funneled money from a children’s cancer charity into his own business? He forgot to mention that as he spotlighted the child cancer survivor in the audience. #SOTU
- Dr. Dena Grayson: 👇🏼DESPERATION👇🏼Nixon: “I believe the time has come to bring that investigation and the other investigations of the matter to an end.”🙄Trump: “If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation.”🤣
- Schumer says Trump’s warning about congressional investigations shows ‘he’s scared’
- Greg Olear: The state of the Union is “run by a money launderer for the Russian mob who is actively seeking its destruction to please his whoremasters…and who slurs his speech like he had a stroke last week.” #SOTU
- Rick Wilson: Y’all are so cute with this “President Demosthenes Game Changer Totally Became President last night.” Short-Attention Span Donnie’s twitter finger is already itching.
- Dan Rather: I would love to see an 8th grade English teacher to go over that speech with a red pen. I suspect a lot of ink would be spilled.
TRUMP THE RUSSIAN ASSET A.K.A. INDIVIDUAL-1
- On Trump’s calendar, just 17 intelligence briefings in 85 days
- After claiming Obama skipped intel briefings, Trump skips intel briefings
- Donald Trump attacks John McCain again, five months after his death
- Trump presents a false choice between investigations, prosperity
- Trump sees total rout of Islamic State group as imminent
- Trump to hold second nuclear summit with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un in Vietnam on Feb. 27-28
- Reddit: Rand & Ron Paul, Russian Assets
- GOP leader joins Trump in calling for end to Dem investigations
- Joe Walsh: Mick Mulvaney said that Trump didn’t mention the debt & deficit last night because nobody cares about the debt & the deficit anymore. This makes me sad. Mulvaney & I were elected to Congress in 2010 to raise holy hell about the debt & the deficit. Smh. Times have changed.
- Whitaker doing significant prep ahead of testimony
- DOJ Investigating Trump Appointee’s Role in Getting Billionaire Pedophile Jeffrey Epstein Off the Hook
- MSNBC: JUST IN: Senate Judiciary Cmte. member Sasse says the US Justice Dept. has opened an investigation into allegations that dept. attorneys “may have committed professional misconduct in the manner in which the [Jeffrey] Epstein criminal matter was resolved.”
- DOJ Responds to Sasse, Opens Epstein Investigation – Sasse: “The victims of Epstein’s child sex trafficking ring deserve this investigation – and so do the American people and the members of law enforcement who work to put these kinds of monsters behind bars.”
- Justice Department opens probe into Jeffrey Epstein plea deal
- Citizens United = Russian Money in American Campaigns – Foreign Policy Research Institute
- Clinton: Trump’s decision to suspend nuclear treaty with Russia ‘a gift to Putin’
- Cub Scout Takes A Knee During Pledge of Allegiance At City Council Meeting
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: Trump unprepared and ‘didn’t do his homework’
- Chuck Todd: During the touching tribute to the Pittsburgh SWAT officer, POTUS has left out the shooter’s other motive for the shooting besides anti-semitism… the shooter was angry with the Tree of Life’s support for refugees
- Don’t believe President Trump when he says its a “priority” to protect Americans with pre-existing conditions: His administration is asking a federal court to rule Obamacare’s ban on pre-existing conditions unconstitutional.
- Donald Trump 2019: Same lying racist he was last year
- GAO: President Trump’s first 4 post-inauguration Mar-a-Lago trips cost taxpayers $13.6M
- Government Watchdog: Trump’s Trips To Florida Costing Taxpayers Millions
- Gillibrand jabs Trump: ‘Female jobs he created were Democratic women in Congress’
- Donald Trump Just Tried to Take Credit For Electing the Most Women to Congress Ever
- In Democratic response, Abrams rebukes Trump and highlights parties’ contrasts
SHUTDOWN & IMMIGRATION
- Pence says government shutdown wasn’t a mistake, can’t guarantee there won’t be another one
- Pence threatens another shutdown if Democrats do not capitulate to Trump
- Mike Pence Praises Trump, Says It’s Never a Mistake to ‘Stand Up for What You Believe in,’ Despite Walking Out of NFL Game Over Anthem Protests
- Award-winning teachers plan ‘Teach-In For Freedom’ to remind Americans that thousands of immigrant kids are being held in border camps — and to call for their release
- Making The Case For Immigration — For Purely Culinary Reasons
RIGHT WING TERRORISM & WHITE NATIONALISM
- Ricky Davila: Gavin McInnes, the Founder of Neo-Nazi hate group Proud Boys, is suing the U.S. Southern Poverty Law Center for labeling his gross org a hate group, claiming the label made his neighbors despise him. Suing truth is absolutely laughable and wait until he encounters discovery.
- ‘This isn’t me’: Gov. Northam’s defiance caught advisers off guard
- As Goes Virginia, So Goes the Democratic Party
- Virginia Attorney General Herring says he wore blackface in college
- Professor who accused Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax of 2004 sexual assault issues statement detailing alleged incident
- Rogue Senior White House Advisor: Love how high & mighty Republicans are getting about the Virginia blackface scandal, as if the GOP isn’t built entirely on the disenfranchisement & targeted harassment of minority groups.
- Molly McKew: Here’s the hard truth on Virginia…
Here’s the hard truth on Virginia: 1- Virginia was the capital of the South not by accident 2- It has never, in any real way, dealt with this history 3- Since the 60s, it has struggled to rectify the glorification of the sacrifice of southern sons … /1
…(see: everything named for Robert E Lee, even now) with needing to confront the history of oppression, slavery, and cruelty this sacrifice was conducted to preserve (see: the Civil War was for “economic reasons”) 4- Decades of avoiding this confrontation is why we’re here…/2
…Charlottesville, battles over Confederate monuments, neo-Confederates running for Senate as Rs 5- It’s no mystery how a culture that has preserved this duality has projected racial bias onto younger generations, over and over 6- the best thing we can do is break the cycle /3
7- Which means leadership willing to confront their own bias, expose how engrained it is, including in elite culture, and willing to discuss it openly, condemning it in explicit terms so the younger generations learn something… /4
… And then doesn’t laugh all this off behind closed doors and continue on, promoting another generation with same bias. 8- this is not a problem of individuals. It is systemic. It is not just Virginia. But wouldn’t it be nice if they would be the seed for something better. /5
Like I mentioned on Daily Check-In 02/01/2019, Virginia has a pretty racist past. I remember growing up in the 80’s and 90’s and hearing about some of the stuff happening down in Virginia, and it was … not surprising, really. I grew up in the suburbs between Pittsburgh and Pennsyltucky. Racism was a common thing in our neck of the woods. My hometown was full of people who moved there from the city neighborhoods and inner suburbs because they were getting ‘too rough’ or ‘the schools were better’ or ‘there was less crime’. All of these were euphemisms for fewer black people.
What I see with all of this stuff in Virginia now is what I saw growing up in the 80’s and 90’s in Pennsylvania. There was a split between people who were so accustomed to racism they didn’t see a problem with it, and those that tried to do better. I grew up in a very racist town, but some of us tried to do better. Some parents had no problems with passing on their hatreds, while others worked their ass off to raise their kids better than they were raised. My mom fell into the latter category, and did her damndest to make sure that we treated people based on how they deserved to be treated, not on the color of their skin. But her generation had a lot to answer for. Now, her generation is mostly dying off, and their kids look back at their actions with disgust.
That’s where Virginia is at. The current leadership is the first generation that is truly trying to make a choice between letting go of past hatreds or hold onto the traditions of youth. Meanwhile, most of the rest of the country had this conversation a long time ago.
SCOTUS & COURTS
- Neomi Rao pressed on past writings on date rape at hearing on her judicial nomination
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg was seen in public Monday. Conspiracy theorists still insist she’s dead.
#METOO & WOMEN’S RIGHTS
- Trump campaign adviser on Democrats in white: ‘The only thing . . . missing tonight is the matching hood’
This was uttered by Katrina Peirson. If that name sounds familiar, she was the contemptuous waste of skin that was flashing White Power hand signs during Brett Kavanaugh’s hearing. (Daily Check-In 08/14/2018). I know that’s a weird thing to say, and as much as she deserves to be called something worse, but calling her a cunt is an insult to cunts. She lacks both the depth and warmth that are typically associated with one.
She wasn’t the only one on the Right Wing to make a Klan comment, nor was she the only one with racist tendencies to do so. It’s actually a little funny that the first thing they thought was Klan rally. Maybe they feel a little nostalgic?
- “From the Man Who Ripped Thousands of Children Away From Their Parents:” Trump’s “Loathsome” Abortion Lie Sparks Outrage
- Governor Cuomo Says Trump, Allies Are ‘Intentionally Spreading Lies’ About New York’s Abortion Law
- A 67-year-old was convicted of a sex crime. The judge said the child victims were ‘an aggressor.’
- A college student thought she had a ghost in her closet. She found a man wearing her clothes.
COLD WAR 2.0
- Russian court sentences Jehovah’s Witnesses elder to six years in prison for ‘extremism’ — Meduza
- Bill Browder: Russian court sentences Dennis Christensen, a Danish citizen, to six years in prison for ‘extremism’ for being a Jehovah’s Witness. Those involved in this outrageous religious persecution should be subject to Magnitsky sanctions
- Thailand blames Australia for Hakeem al-Araibi’s detention
- Bill Browder: Thailand should immediately release Bahraini political refugee (and footballer), Hakeem al-Araibi and allow him to return to safety in Australia. The Interpol Red Notice is clearly political, abusive and against Interpol’s constitution. The case is crystal clear.
- Bill Browder: Heads up. Putin will be visiting Bolivia soon. Seems to be shoring up his position in Latam.
- Cameroon’s crackdown on its English-speaking minority is fueling support for a secessionist movement
- Diabetics in Britain worry a no-deal Brexit could put their lives at risk
- The U.S. has not spent more than $7 trillion in the Middle East
- Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz Tries to Eject Parkland Dad From Gun Violence Hearing
- Rep. Matt Gaetz calls for Parkland Fathers to be Removed from House Hearing on Gun Violence
- Shannon Watts: Border crossings are the lowest they’ve been since 1971. School gun violence reached a new record in 2018. Focus on the real crisis in America: gun violence. #hr8 #UpdateBackgroundChecks
- Shannon Watts: During today’s House hearing on #HR8, Rep. Matt Gaetz said building “the wall” would be more effective than background checks. He then got into an argument with @manueloliver00, whose son Joaquin was killed in Parkland, and tried to have him ejected.
- Emma Gonzalez: Manuel Oliver and Fred Guttenberg are heroes, and have lived through enough trauma without @RepMattGaetz being too immature to handle constituents voicing their disagreement with his positions
- Officer won’t face charges in Alabama mall shooting
THE PROPAGANDA MACHINE
WHITE HOUSE CHAOS
- Leaked calendars show how much Trump’s ad hoc approach differs from his predecessors
- Unlike Trump, most CEOs have very little ‘executive time’
TRADE WAR, HEALTH CARE, AND ECONOMY
- U.S. Banks Win $21 Billion Trump Tax Windfall Then Cut Staff, Loaned Less
- Whatever You Paid to Watch Netflix Last Month Was More Than It Paid in Income Taxes All Last Year: $0
- Why millions of people are getting hit with a surprise tax bill this year
- The state with the biggest education funding drop over two decades? Report says it’s Betsy DeVos’s home, Michigan.
- It’s ‘Black Lives Matter at School Week’: Why that matters, and how classrooms are taking part
GOP: THE PARTY OF LINCOLN IS DEAD
CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
- He said his wife and son moved to South Korea. Decades later, a detective learned the truth.
- A stranger offered to help a 14-year-old who said her father raped her — but only if she recorded it first
- Ex-Penn State assistant coach Sandusky gets new sentencing
ENVIRONMENT & SCIENCE
- Children raised by same-sex couples do better in school, new study finds
- Federal judge orders Chemical Safety Board to require disclosure of chemical emissions from accidents
- Theodore Rabb, Renaissance scholar who championed Western culture, dies at 81
- The North Pole is mysteriously moving, and the U.S. government finally caught up
- Scientists found a working USB stick in some leopard seal poop. Does it belong to you?
- It’s Time to Try Fossil-Fuel Executives for Crimes Against Humanity
- It was a toasty Tuesday in the Northeast, thanks to yet another February thaw
- Vape pen kills man after exploding in his mouth
- Younger than 100? Soon, you might not be able to smoke cigarettes in Hawaii.
- Ohio city to stop observing Columbus Day, make Election Day holiday instead
- Susan Collins Raised More Money From Brett Kavanaugh Supporters Than Mainers
- Inaccurate claims of noncitizen voting in Texas reflect a growing trend in Republican states
- Kamala Harris: Russia was able to influence our election because they figured out that racism, sexism, anti-Semitism, homophobia, and transphobia are America’s Achilles heel. These issues aren’t only civil rights — they’re also a matter of national security. We have to deal with that.
- Beto O’Rourke meets Oprah Winfrey — and teases a presidential campaign
- Tulsi Gabbard: Bashar al-Assad is ‘Not an Enemy’ of the U.S.
- Natasha Bertand: Pressed repeatedly by @kasie, @TulsiGabbard refuses to say that Bashar Assad is either an enemy or an adversary of the United States.
- Genocide in Syria 2011-2017 Awareness Campaign
- Angry White House Staffer: Periodic reminder that Tulsi Gabbard is an Assad apologist who likes to parrot Kremlin talking points. The Democrats don’t need any more moles in the party.
PROGRESS IS PROGRESS
- Ocasio-Cortez Says Trump Attack on Socialism Shows President ‘Scared’ of Popular Progressive Policies – “Every single policy proposal that we have adopted and presented to the American public has been overwhelmingly popular, even some with the majority of Republican voters.”
- Angry White House Staffer: Honest Conversations About Politics
I know the focus right now is on Trump’s crimes and 2020 — and it should be — but I can’t wait to get back to having honest conversations about politics. I hope we can recover from the hyper-partisan environment we’re currently trapped in, but I honestly don’t know. 1/4
One thing I do — and that I strongly encourage everyone try — is spend time every day reading something, or talking to someone, that I disagree with. This should be intelligent material; I’m NOT encouraging anyone to go read Jacob Wohl or anything like that. 2/4
I’ve found when we drop the “keyboard courage” and actually engage with people who we might not agree, two things happen: 1. We understand them a little better 2. It’s harder to be hostile, because you realize different ideas don’t automatically make someone a bad person. 3/4
Take me for example: I started my Twitter journey as a disgruntled person who identified as Republican who was just here because Trump sucks. Two years on Twitter taught me that I align much more with moderate Democrats than I do anyone from what I *thought* was my party <fin>
IN OTHER NEWS…
- Ming: Gat dammit, Ming beginning to think Mensch was right about RICO too. This gonna crush some ppl. Ming laugh and laugh
- Andrew Laufer, ESQ: We the people ultimately have the power of governance.We proved that in the midterms.We’ll prove it again in 2020. Our freedoms empower us. America’s economic, military, & social might mean nothing if we cower in imaginary fear or give into gaslighting. We determine our own fate.
- Countercheckist: By his math he’s also a billionaire. Donald has never been very good with numbers. Ask Atlantic City.
- Ming: The way GOP been trying to game this treason out from the onset make the FL moves with Scott, Desantis more suspicios to Ming.
- Tea Pain: 1. Another sealed indictment today 2. Cohen testimony suddenly postponed 3. Butina boyfriend indicted 4. 7000 pages of transcripts released 5. Full assault on Mueller by Fox and far right blogs 6. Hannity spotted at WH 7. No Trump tweet since #SOTU Something’s goin’ on!
- Thread by @KylePlantEmoji: “Y’all: people are too sensitive these days [200 years ago] Man: he implied my family was not honorable so we’re gonna duel at dawn about it […]”
- Tea Pain: It’s on like Donkey Kong, traitors! Time to get your houses in order! #MuellerIsComing
Lanny and Susan Wiles
- Venture Capital: 🔥Susan Wiles who helped w getting Veselnitskaya get the seat was ALSO involved in the flash mob in Broward County thatwas a RUSSIAN op‼️
- Jed Shugerman: @McFaul: it was Trump supporters Lanny and Susie Wiles, who were paying former Soviet spy Akhmetshin $70K and helping Veselnitskaya. I connect the dots in this thread. And more soon:
Keep an ear out for those names. They were able to get Natalia Veselnitskaya a front row seat to a Congressional hearing featuring Russian Ambassador Michael McFaul.
That’s it for Wednesday. Like I said earlier this week, it’s going to be nuts.
I was expecting the Erickson indictment to come in, but I wasn’t expecting it to be for money laundering and ripping off old people. That is a bit of a surprise. At least until I think about how much of a scumbag he truly is. Then it makes perfect sense.
Thank you, and have a good one.
“Without Journalists, it’s just propaganda.”
– Katy Tur